Super easy Vegan Sloppy Joes made with marinated BBQ tempeh crumbles! Deliciously saucy, super satisfying, and a great way to enjoy tempeh.
Saucy Tempeh Sloppy Joes! If you’ve never tried tempeh before, this is a great recipe to introduce you to this awesome food. It’s a fermented soy product, but is less processed than it’s “cousin” tofu.
This recipe is a super simple vegan rendition of sloppy joes. And they’re just as sloppy, hearty, and delicious as the original.
Please use your own favorite BBQ sauce for this recipe (either store-bought or homemade if you like to make your own). A flavorful BBQ sauce that you enjoy will make all the difference!
It’s great served alongside a light salad or fresh sweet corn in the summer. Hope you enjoy this tasty remake.
BBQ Tempeh Sloppy Joes
- 8 oz. tempeh
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (I love "Bold & Smoky Kansas City style" from Trader Joe's)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 4 hamburger buns
- Crumble tempeh in a bowl. Add BBQ sauce and stir well to combine. Set aside and let marinate for at least 15 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Meanwhile, dice onion and bell pepper.
- In a large skillet over med-high heat, saute onion and bell pepper for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add BBQ tempeh and 1/2 cup broth. Stir. Bring to light simmer then cover, reduce heat, and lightly simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Scoop onto hamburger buns and add any toppings if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you’re enjoying these BBQ tempeh sloppy joes, also feel free to check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this recipe! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!)