Super easy Vegan Sloppy Joes made with marinated BBQ tempeh crumbles! A satisfying weeknight meal and a great way to enjoy tempeh.
Tempeh Sloppy Joes! If you’ve never tried tempeh before, this is a great recipe to introduce you to this awesome food. It’s a fermented soy product, but less processed than it’s “cousin” tofu. This recipe is a super simple vegan rendition of sloppy joes. And they’re just as sloppy, hearty, and delicious as the original.
Use your own favorite BBQ sauce for this recipe – either store-bought or homemade if you have a favorite recipe. It’s great served alongside a light salad or fresh sweet corn in the summer. Hope you enjoy this tasty remake!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make these! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Or leave a star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
BBQ Tempeh Sloppy Joes
- 8 oz. tempeh
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (I love "Bold & Smoky Kansas City style" from Trader Joe's)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 4 hamburger buns
- Crumble tempeh in a bowl. Add BBQ sauce and stir well to combine. Set aside and let marinate for at least 15 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Meanwhile, dice onion and bell pepper.
- In a large skillet over med-high heat, saute onion and bell pepper for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add BBQ tempeh and 1/2 cup broth. Stir. Bring to light simmer then cover, reduce heat, and lightly simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Scoop onto hamburger buns and add any toppings if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying these BBQ tempeh sloppy joes? Also feel free to check out the full “Main Dish” vegan recipe archives on the site for more tasty plant based inspiration! (Or the “30 Minutes or Less” recipe archives if you’re looking for more quick and easy ideas.)