If you’ve never tried tempeh before, this is a great recipe to introduce you to this awesome food. It’s a fermented soy product, but less processed than it’s “cousin” tofu.
This recipe is a super simple vegan rendition of sloppy joes. And they’re just as sloppy, hearty, and delicious as the original. Hope you enjoy this tasty remake!
BBQ Tempeh Sloppy Joes
Super easy Vegan Sloppy Joes made with BBQ marinated tempeh! A satisfying weeknight meal and a great way to enjoy tempeh.
- 8 oz. tempeh
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (I love "Bold & Smoky Kansas City style" from Trader Joe's)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 4 hamburger buns
- Crumble tempeh in a bowl. Add BBQ sauce and stir well to combine. Set aside and let marinate for at least 15 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Meanwhile, dice onion and bell pepper.
- In a large skillet over med-high heat, saute onion and bell pepper for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add BBQ tempeh and 1/2 cup broth. Stir. Bring to light simmer then cover, reduce heat, and lightly simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Scoop onto hamburger buns and add any toppings if desired.
For gluten-free option: use your favorite GF buns, and ensure that your tempeh is gluten-free or 100% soy. (I've seen 3-grain tempeh patties that include some wheat products.) If you prefer, you can steam the tempeh for 10 minutes before crumbling to help remove the slight bitter taste. I don't find this necessary for this recipe, but you may want to try it!
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Calories: 370kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Potassium: 546mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 29g | Vitamin A: 335IU | Vitamin C: 27mg | Calcium: 170mg | Iron: 3.6mg