A thick, hearty soup great anytime of the year. I’ve made this so many times and it’s one of our favorite soups. Packed with nutrients, it’s always nourishing and satisfies our hunger. I’ve also made this with bulgur in place of the orzo, and it’s fantastic that way too. If you like this, you might want to check out the Lentil Spinach Burritos as well. It’s basically the flavors of this soup wrapped up in a burrito!
Lentil Orzo Soup
Thick, hearty Lentil Orzo Soup with spinach! Simple to make, super satisfying, and loaded with plant-based nutrition! (Vegan)
- 1 1/2 cups brown lentils (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup orzo (uncooked)
- 1 onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3 carrots
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (oftentimes I double this)
- 2-3 cups roughly chopped baby spinach
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
- Dice onion and carrot. Mince garlic.
- Place stockpot over medium-high heat. Saute onion and carrot for about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin, and smoked paprika. Stir and saute 1 minute.
- Add broth and lentils (rinsed and drained). Bring to a light boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer covered about 30 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- Add orzo and tomatoes with juice. Simmer 10 minutes or until orzo is cooked.
- Add spinach, stir, and heat for a couple minutes.
- Season to taste with salt/pepper if desired.
Gluten-free option: use GF orzo, or your favorite GF pasta in place of the orzo. (Or quinoa, rice, etc.)
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Calories: 208kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 1g | Potassium: 643mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 108.4% | Vitamin C: 14% | Calcium: 7.3% | Iron: 25.7%