This thick & hearty Lentil Orzo Soup is simple to make and super satisfying, plus loaded with plant-based nutrition. Perfect for a cozy weeknight meal!
This Lentil Orzo Soup is such a thick, comforting bowl of goodness that keeps us feeling warm and cozy. Plus it’s packed with plant-based nutrients. I love the lentil + orzo combination which makes it seem extra hearty and satisfying. (However for a gluten-free version, use your favorite small gluten-free pasta, or even stir in some quinoa or brown rice.) It’s also a great meal for easy leftovers throughout the week – simply reheat and enjoy.
If you’re looking for more cozy soup & chili inspiration, here are a few more of our favorites:
Vegan Corn & Potato Chowder
Healing Turmeric Noodle Soup
Smoky Tomato Lentil Soup
Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!)
Lentil Orzo Soup with Spinach
- 1 onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (I like fire-roasted*)
- 3/4 cup green/brown lentils
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for about 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, dice carrot and mince garlic.
- When onion is translucent, add carrot, garlic, cumin, and smoked paprika. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Add broth, diced tomatoes, and lentils (rinsed and drained). Bring to a light boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Add orzo. Stir and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Add spinach (roughly chopped). Heat for a couple minutes. Salt/pepper to taste if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
If you’re enjoying this Lentil Orzo Soup, also feel free to check out the full “Vegan Soup” recipes archives on the site for more comforting plant based inspiration!