These Vegan Stuffed Peppers are made with a delicious (and nutrient-packed) mixture of hearty black beans, quinoa, and colorful vegetables. They’re also fun to make and the leftovers re-heat wonderfully!
These vegan stuffed peppers are a comfort food classic but made healthier! Each pepper half is generously filled with a flavorful, hearty mixture of black beans, quinoa, and colorful vegetables.
Plus they’re fun to make, and look so festive. This recipe makes a large batch, but we find the leftovers heat up wonderfully. (We think they taste even better the next day because the flavors have a chance to mingle.)
Be sure to find large bell peppers that have plenty of space for stuffing. (Otherwise, opt for 5-6 smaller/medium bell peppers.)
Vegan cheese shreds and/or nutritional yeast are an optional addition if you enjoy some cheesy goodness also added to the mix.
Vegetable Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 1/2 cup white quinoa
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 medium carrots
- 4 large bell peppers* (I use one of each color)
- 4 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup vegan cheese shreds (or nutritional yeast to taste)
- Guacamole/avocado, cilantro, salsa for serving
- Cook quinoa: place 1/2 cup quinoa (rinsed and drained) in a small saucepan with 3/4 cup water or vegetable broth. Bring to a light boil over med-high heat. Then reduce heat to med-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare veggies: dice onion, mince garlic, and grate/shred carrots.
- Drain canned tomatoes, adding the tomato liquid to the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Set remaining diced tomatoes aside.
- In an extra-large skillet over med-high heat, sauté onion for 6-7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Add minced garlic and cumin. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Add spinach (roughly chopped) and drained tomatoes. Stir.
- When spinach is wilted, add black beans (rinsed and drained), cooked quinoa, and grated carrot. Stir and heat for 2 minutes. Salt/pepper if desired. (Optional: stir in 2/3 cup vegan cheese shreds to quinoa mixture, or nutritional yeast to taste.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise. Remove stems, seeds, and inner ribs. Fill each pepper half with a heaping amount of quinoa mixture. Pack it down well with a spoon to fill all the crevices*. Place filled peppers in baking dish on top of the tomato liquid.
- Cover the dish with foil. Bake for 75 minutes. (Or if topping with cheese: after 1 hour of baking, uncover foil and sprinkle peppers with remaining 1/3 cup cheese. Return to oven and bake uncovered 15 minutes.)
- Drizzle with pan juices before serving. Serve with guacamole/avocado, salsa, nutritional yeast, etc. if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying these Vegan Stuffed Peppers? Also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt these! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!)