This vegan stuffed pepper recipe is a fantastic use for quinoa! It’s beautiful, fun to make, and nutrient-packed. Even the leftovers heat up wonderfully. (We actually think it tastes even better the next day after the flavors have a chance to mingle!)
It does take a little longer to prepare than most meals here on The Garden Grazer, so make sure you have the time. Always worth it to us! 🙂
Vegan Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Quinoa Stuffed Peppers with black beans and colorful veggies! This fun-to-make meal is both delicious and nutrient-packed.
Servings:8 pepper halves
- 4 bell peppers
- 3/4 cup white quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2-3 carrots
- 4 oz. fresh baby spinach
- Two 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 1/2 cups vegan cheddar shreds (or pepper jack, etc.)
- Rinse and cook quinoa according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, prepare veggies: dice onion, mince garlic, and grate/shred carrots.
- Drain canned tomatoes, adding the tomato liquid to the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- In a very large skillet over med-high heat, saute onion for 5 minutes.
- Add cumin and minced garlic. Saute 1 minute.
- Stir in spinach, drained tomatoes. Cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in black beans (rinsed and drained), cooked quinoa, and carrot shreds. Heat for a few minutes. Stir in 1 cup cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise (remove inner ribs with a spoon). Fill each pepper with heaping amount of quinoa mixture, packing it down, and place in baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake 1 hour.
- Uncover, sprinkle peppers with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake uncovered 15 minutes. Drizzle with pan juices before serving.
Adapted from Vegetarian Times
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Calories: 168kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Potassium: 766mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 5890IU | Vitamin C: 93.8mg | Calcium: 105mg | Iron: 4.7mg