Super simple yet satisfying bean enchiladas that are great for busy weeknights. Easy to assemble, then just add your favorite toppings! (Vegan with gluten-free option.)
These vegan bean enchiladas are a basic recipe I’ve made many times when wanting a quick, simple meal that satisfies us. Plus it’s incredibly easy to assemble, making it perfect for weeknights. The recipe is mild as written (if using mild enchilada sauce) but feel free to spice it up if you wish with chipotle, hot sauce, medium green chiles, etc. We find it’s fantastic served with a side of tortilla chips & our favorite restaurant-style blender salsa.
When I first started making these, I used a 10 oz. can store-bought enchilada sauce. But now I always make them with our favorite homemade enchilada sauce. It only takes about 20 minutes to whip up, and I highly recommend it. The homemade sauce yields about 3 cups which is more than sufficient for this recipe. (Feel free to use as much as desired.) Hope you enjoy these as much as we do!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make or adapt this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!)
Easy Vegan Bean Enchiladas
- 1 medium onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can refried beans (vegan*)
- 30 oz. can black beans (two 15 oz. cans)
- 6 large burrito-size tortillas (gluten-free if desired)
- 10 oz. can enchilada sauce (or try homemade)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- Optional: 1 cup vegan cheese shreds (more/less as desired)
- Green onions, tomatoes, cilantro, avocado/guacamole, hot sauce, nutritional yeast, vegan sour cream
- Preheat oven to 325°F (162°C).
- Dice onion. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. vegetable broth/water for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic. When onion is translucent, add garlic, cumin, and smoked paprika. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Lower heat to medium-low. Add refried beans and stir until beans soften.
- Rinse and drain black beans. Add to pan, and stir to combine. Salt to taste if desired and turn off heat.
- Evenly distribute bean mixture to the center of each tortilla.
- Sprinkle vegan shredded cheese on top of the bean mixture (optional), then roll them up tightly with ends tucked in.
- Pour a small amount of enchilada sauce to coat the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish. Then place enchiladas seam side down.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the top. Sprinkle with vegan cheese (optional).
- Bake for 25 minutes. Add any desired toppings before serving. (I love the works – avocado, green onion, tomato, hot sauce, and nutritional yeast.)