Easy, healthy Black Bean Mushroom Burger! A satisfying vegan weeknight meal. Plus you can make them ahead of time to bake when ready!
We’ve tried a few different variations of bean and veggie burgers and this is our favorite so far. Plus you can make it easy on yourself come dinner time by preparing the patties ahead of time. Simply store them in the fridge until they’re ready to bake!
It’s a great family friendly meal since everyone can load theirs up with their own favorite burger toppings.
This recipe makes about 4 large or 6 smaller patties, so feel free to build and form them as you see fit. I love how healthy yet satisfying they are.
And if you’re looking for more tasty black bean inspiration, check out this roundup of 50 Awesome Vegan Black Bean Recipes! Hope you enjoy these simple burgers as well.
Black Bean Mushroom Burger
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 4-5 oz. mushrooms (about 1 cup finely chopped)
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax meal (+ 3 Tbsp. water to make a flax egg)
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (or breadcrumbs)
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 4 hamburger buns (gluten-free if desired)
Toppings of choice (optional):
- Lettuce, clover sprouts, tomatoes, onion, avocado, ketchup, mustard, pickles, etc.
- Make the flax egg: in a small bowl, whisk together 1 Tbsp. flax with 3 Tbsp. water. Set aside to thicken.
- Finely dice onion and mushrooms. (Or use a food processor for quicker results.) Mince garlic.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion and mushrooms for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/veggie broth for no-oil sauté method.)
- Once onions are softened, add minced garlic, oregano, and basil. Stir and sauté 1-2 more minutes. Turn off heat.
- Rinse and drain black beans. Pat dry to remove excess moisture.
- Put black beans in a bowl and mash. Add thickened flax egg, sautéed veggies, oats, and salt/pepper to taste if desired.
- Mix well to combine, then shape into 4 medium patties. (Note: they hold up best if you refrigerate the patties for at least an hour at this point.)
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place patties. Bake for 20 minutes, carefully flipping halfway through.
- Place on buns and add any desired toppings.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying this easy vegan Black Bean Mushroom Burger? Also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make or adapt these! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!)