This easy, nourishing Mexican-inspired Quinoa Black Bean Soup with spinach is such a simple dish to assemble. Pleasantly filling and satisfying and packed with plant-based nutrients! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
This Mexican-inspired quinoa & black bean soup is deliciously satisfying and easy to adapt. Plus I love the hearty texture of the quinoa and bean combination.
It's a great healthy recipe to have in your back pocket for weeknights because it's simple to prepare and forgiving to adaptions and substitutions.
Ingredients for Quinoa Bean Soup
- Vegetable broth
- Diced tomatoes (regular or fire-roasted)
- White quinoa
- Black beans
- Ground cumin
- Dried oregano
- Chili powder (I use mild)
- Fresh baby spinach
This soup is gently spiced with warm flavors of cumin, oregano, and chili powder. (Change it up how you see fit, however.)
I love serving it with fresh cilantro and hot sauce. You could also try diced avocado, crumbled tortilla chips, or a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
Quinoa Black Bean Soup
- 1 onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 cups vegetable broth*
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or petite, fire-roasted, etc.)
- 1/2 cup white quinoa (uncooked)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. chili powder (I use mild)
- 2-3 oz. fresh baby spinach
- Fresh cilantro, hot sauce, avocado, tortilla chips, fresh lime juice, etc.
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, dice carrot and mince garlic.
- When onion is translucent, add carrot, garlic, cumin, oregano, and chili powder. Stir and sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and diced tomatoes. Cover and bring to a light simmer.
- Rinse and drain both quinoa and black beans. Add to pot.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until quinoa is cooked.
- Roughly chop spinach and add during the last couple minutes of cook time.
- Salt/pepper to taste. Serve with toppings if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you're enjoying this soup, also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make this recipe! (Also please leave a review/star rating below if you give it a try - your feedback is always very appreciated, thank you!)