This easy, nourishing Mexican-inspired Quinoa Black Bean Soup with spinach is such a simple dish to assemble. Pleasantly filling and satisfying and packed with plant-based nutrients! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
This Mexican-inspired quinoa & bean soup is deliciously satisfying and easy to adapt. Plus I love the hearty texture of the quinoa and black bean combination.
It’s a great healthy recipe to have in your back pocket for weeknights because it’s simple to prepare and forgiving to adaptions and substitutions.
This soup is gently spiced with warm flavors of cumin, oregano, and chili powder. (Change it up how you see fit, however!) I love serving it with fresh cilantro and hot sauce. You could also try diced avocado, crumbled tortilla chips, or a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
Hope you enjoy this simple, satisfying meal as well. I’d love to hear any variations you come up with!
Quinoa Black Bean Soup
- 1 onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 cups vegetable broth*
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or petite, fire-roasted, etc.)
- 1/2 cup white quinoa (uncooked)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2-3 oz. fresh baby spinach
- Fresh cilantro, hot sauce, avocado, tortilla chips, fresh lime juice, etc.
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, dice carrot and mince garlic.
- When onion is translucent, add carrot, garlic, cumin, oregano, and chili powder. Stir and sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and diced tomatoes. Cover and bring to a light simmer.
- Rinse and drain both quinoa and black beans. Add to pot.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until quinoa is cooked.
- Roughly chop spinach and add during the last couple minutes of cook time.
- Salt/pepper to taste. Serve with toppings if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you’re enjoying this Quinoa Black Bean Soup, also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make this recipe! (Also please leave a review/star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is always very appreciated, thank you!)