Fresh, easy Lentil Quinoa Salad! Combines hearty lentils and quinoa tossed with a simple, flavorful vinaigrette. Satisfying and protein packed!
Two superfoods collide! The other day I went searching for a recipe that combined both lentils and quinoa in the same dish. (Thinking it’d be great to see these two hearty, protein packed super foods collide.) I came across a fresh looking salad recipe from Melissa d’Arabian that sounded intriguing. After giving it a try with a few small tweaks, it certainly didn’t disappoint!
The salad is light, refreshing, flavorful, and not to mention packs a big nutritional punch! The mustard and lime are a great burst of flavor. Plus it can either be served immediately, or after it chills for several hours or overnight in the fridge. Which makes it a great choice for make-ahead packed lunches, meal prep, picnics, or BBQ’s. Lentils and quinoa are lovely together and hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations.
Lentil Quinoa Salad
- 1/2 cup dry white quinoa (or 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa)
- 1/2 cup dry lentils (or 1 heaping cup cooked lentils)
- 3 green onions
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro
For the dressing:
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil (omit for oil-free)
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder (or 1 minced garlic clove)
- 1 lime, zested
- Rinse and cook both quinoa and lentils according to package directions. Be sure to leave lentils tender, not mushy. (For 1/2 cup quinoa, I use a ratio of 3/4 cup water or vegetable broth to cook for fluffier quinoa.)
- Make the dressing: in a small bowl, combine all dressing ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Chop the cilantro (large stems remove) and green onions.
- In a bowl, add the cooked lentils, quinoa, green onions, cilantro. Mix to combine. (Add more cilantro if desired.)
- Top with the dressing and toss to thoroughly combine. Salt/pepper to taste as desired. (Also feel free to serve with fresh lime juice squeezed on top!)
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this Lentil Quinoa Salad? Feel free to also check out the full “Vegan Salad” recipe archives on the site for more tasty plant based inspiration!