Hearty, vegan, “meaty” pasta… without the meat! This 30-Minute Tempeh Mushroom Pasta makes for an easy, satisfying weeknight meal.
This is a hearty, vegan, “meaty” pasta… without the meat! Tempeh (made from fermented soybeans) is a great healthy substitute for ground turkey and beef. It’s loaded with protein and fiber, and many other nutrients. (Check out the World’s Healthiest Foods page for more nutritional info.)
I really love how quick and easy this meal comes together thanks to the help of jarred pasta sauce, but feel free to use your own homemade sauce. The tempeh + mushroom combo gives the sauce such great hearty texture and leaves us feeling pleasantly satisfied. Zucchini and spinach are awesome additions as well. If you’ve never cooked with tempeh before, this is a great recipe to try! (We also love this hearty Vegan Lentil Bolognese for a satisfying pasta option as well.)
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make these! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Or leave a star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Tempeh Mushroom Pasta
- 12 oz. pasta (gluten-free if desired)
- 8 oz. tempeh
- 10 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 26 oz. jar pasta sauce
- Onion, garlic, spinach, bell pepper, zucchini, fresh herbs
- Cook pasta according to package directions.*
- Meanwhile, crumble tempeh.
- In a large pan over medium heat, saute tempeh and mushrooms about 8 minutes or until mushrooms soften. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/veggie broth for no-oil saute method. Add more as necessary.)
- Reduce heat to med-low. Pour in pasta sauce (and 1-2 cups pasta water if using).
- Stir occasionally until sauce is heated through, about 10 minutes. (Stir in spinach during last couple minutes if using.)
- Spoon sauce mixture over cooked pasta.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this tempeh pasta? Also feel free to check out the full “Main Dish” recipe archives on the site for more tasty plant based inspiration! (Or these BBQ Tempeh Sloppy Joes for more tempeh goodness.)