Vegan Toasted Quinoa with Asian Mushrooms! Savory and delicious, plus a beautiful medley of nutrient-packed mushrooms.
This dish combines three of my favorite things: mushrooms, quinoa, and Asian flavors! Plus it’s a great, versatile recipe as you can use whatever mushrooms you love. (This time I found shiitake, portobella, and cremini, however I adapted the recipe from Avocado Pesto who uses a combination of shiitake, baby bella, and oyster.) They’re all lovely combinations, plus a fantastic way to enjoy the wonderful benefits of mushrooms.
Also, if you’re interested in diving into the amazing world of mushrooms, I found this book below to be a great, informative read! Author Tero breaks down ten different varieties of mushrooms, and then explains how their incredible benefits can be a powerful tool in promoting whole body health. (With many fun facts and vegan recipes included as well.) See “Healing Mushrooms” on Amazon here.
Asian Toasted Quinoa with Mushrooms
- 1 cup white quinoa (uncooked & rinsed)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 16 oz. mixed mushrooms (I used shiitake, portobella, and cremini)
- 6 green onions (sliced)
- Sesame seeds for garnish
For the dressing:
- 2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- Mince garlic.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add 2 tsp. sesame oil. Add about 3 cloves minced garlic (reserving some garlic for later) and quinoa. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning, until quinoa is lightly toasted.
- Add vegetable broth to quinoa and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the broth is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked.
- Slice or halve mushrooms. (Or leave whole if desired.)
- In a separate large pan over medium heat, saute shiitakes. (I use veggie broth/water for no-oil saute method.) Stir and saute for a few minutes until softened. Remove from pan.
- Repeat this step for the portobellas, then the creminis. (I cook them separately since they vary in size and cooking time, but feel free to do them all at once if you prefer.)
- Combine all softened mushrooms together in the large pan. Add the remaining 1 clove minced garlic and sliced green onions. Stir and saute for 1 minute.
- Add cooked quinoa. Then whisk dressing in a small bowl, and pour over the quinoa mixture. Stir well to combine.
- Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this Asian Mushrooms with Quinoa? Feel free to also check out the full “Asian Inspired” archives on the site for more inspiration! Or this similar Asian Mushroom Rice that is super easy as well.
Disclosure: The Garden Grazer is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to amazon.com and affiliated sites. I only share things I absolutely LOVE and also personally use! (There is no additional cost to you in clicking the affiliate link.)