Easy vegan Double Decker Chickpea Tacos! Take your taco night to a whole new level with these satisfying roasted chickpea tacos. Family-friendly!
Have you ever tried “double decker” tacos? You simply make a normal hard shell taco, then wrap it up with a soft shell tortilla spread with creamy refried beans.
It’s deliciously fantastic! Plus such a great family-friendly meal since everyone can load them up with their own favorite taco toppings.
This recipes makes about 6-8 tacos, depending on how much you stuff them. I love using my homemade taco seasoning mix for this recipe to season the chickpeas.
It adds so much fresh, fiesta-style flavor. Usually I make a triple or quadruple batch of the seasoning and store it in a small glass mason jar in the pantry. Then it’s ready to go whenever I need it. Hope you enjoy these easy tacos as well!
Vegan Double Decker Chickpea Tacos
- 15 oz. can refried beans (vegetarian-style)
- 15 oz. can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 3 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1-2 Tbsp. lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 8 soft taco tortillas (or corn tortillas)
- 8 hard taco shells
Toppings of choice:
- Lettuce, tomato, onion, salsa, guacamole, vegan cheese, etc.
- In a small bowl combine chickpeas, taco seasoning, lime juice, and 2 Tbsp. water. Stir to combine and let marinate at least a half hour, or throughout the day in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C). On a baking pan, spread chickpeas in a single layer. Bake for about 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan over med-low heat, add refried beans. Stir occasionally until heated through. (Oftentimes I add cumin and smoked paprika to flavor it even more.)
- After the chickpeas are baked, feel free to warm the hard taco shells in the oven for a few minutes if you wish.
- Assemble tacos: spread a layer of refried beans on the soft tortillas. Wrap them around the hard taco shells, using the refried beans as a "glue" to hold them together. Fill with chickpeas and desired toppings.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you’re enjoying these Vegan Double Decker Tacos, also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt these! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!)