Easy vegan Double Decker Chickpea Tacos! Take your taco night to a whole new level with these satisfying roasted chickpea tacos. Family-friendly!
Another day, another taco craving 😉 Except this time I thought, let’s take them to the next level… let’s double-deck these babies! They’re awesome both ways so you can either stop at taco, or wrap ’em up for the full double decker experience. It’s a great family-friendly meal since everyone can load them up with their own favorite taco toppings.
This recipes makes about 6-8 tacos, depending on how much you stuff them. I love using my homemade taco seasoning mix for this recipe to season the chickpeas. It adds so much fresh, fiesta flavor! Usually I make a triple or quadruple batch of the seasoning and store it in a small glass mason jar in the pantry. Then it’s ready to go whenever I need it. Hope you enjoy these easy tacos as well!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make or adapt these! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Or leave a star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Vegan Double Decker Chickpea Tacos
- 15 oz. can refried beans (vegetarian-style)
- 15 oz. can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 3 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1-2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 8 soft taco shells
- 8 hard taco shells
Toppings of choice:
- Lettuce, tomato, onion, salsa, guacamole, vegan cheese, etc.
- In a small bowl combine chickpeas, taco seasoning, lime juice, and 2 Tbsp. water. Stir to combine and let marinate at least a half hour, or throughout the day in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 375. On a baking pan, spread chickpeas in a single layer. Bake for about 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan over med-low heat, add refried beans. Stir occasionally until heated through. (Oftentimes I add cumin and smoked paprika to flavor it even more.)
- After the chickpeas are baked, feel free to warm the hard tacos in the oven for a few minutes if you wish.
- Assemble tacos: spread a layer of refried beans on the soft tacos. Wrap around hard tacos and fill with chickpeas and toppings.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying these Vegan Double Decker Tacos? Feel free to also browse the full “Mexican Inspired” recipe archives on the site for more tasty plant based inspiration!