Easy, healthy Quinoa Stir-Fry packed with vegetables and a flavorful Asian-inspired garlic sauce! Super simple to modify based on your own favorite vegetables or what’s in season.
This simple, healthy, Asian-inspired vegetable stir-fry is paired with quinoa instead of rice, which both shortens the preparation time, and also adds a little boost to the nutrition value.
We really enjoy this particular combination of vegetables (especially the mushrooms and asparagus). But as always, make it your own with the vegetables you enjoy, or the ones currently in season. Baby bok choy, broccoli, carrots, etc. would all do very well here.
How to make Quinoa Stir-Fry
- Rinse and cook the quinoa (I often use vegetable broth for more flavor)
- Chop then stir-fry the vegetables
- Whisk together the simple stir-fry sauce
- Pour sauce over vegetables and let it thicken
- Assemble the cooked quinoa with saucy stir-fry veggies in a bowl and top with sesame seeds!
To shorten the cook time even further, cook the quinoa beforehand and prepare/chop your vegetables. Then store each in an airtight container in the fridge. Your easy weeknight meal is ready to stir-fry and assemble!
We love serving this dish with edamame or tofu such:
Quinoa Vegetable Stir-Fry
- 1 cup white quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 small onion (red or yellow)
- 1 bell pepper (I use orange)
- 6 oz. mushrooms (I use cremini)
- 10 oz. asparagus (woody ends removed)
- 6 oz. snow peas or sugar snap peas
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil (*omit for oil-free)
- Sesame seeds for serving
For the garlic stir-fry sauce:
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch (or other thickener)
- 1/2 tsp. freshly grated ginger (optional)
- Cook the quinoa: place 1 cup quinoa (rinsed and drained) in a small saucepan with 1 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth. Bring to a light boil over med-high heat. Then reduce heat to med-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice onion and bell pepper. Slice mushrooms. Cut asparagus into 1-2" pieces (woody ends removed).
- Add sesame oil* to a wok (or large skillet) over medium-high heat. When hot, carefully add onions. Cook onions for 3-4 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, mushrooms, asparagus, and peas. Stir and sauté for 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally until crisp-tender.
- While vegetables are cooking, make the stir-fry sauce: mince garlic and add all sauce ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Whisk the stir-fry sauce again, then add to pan. Stir well to thoroughly combine. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring often, until sauce thickens.
- Assemble bowls with cooked quinoa and saucy stir-fry veggies. Serve with sesame seeds and/or more tamari if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you’re enjoying this easy vegan stir-fry, also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!)