Easy vegan Vegetable Barley Soup! Hearty, satisfying, and ultra-cozy in the wintertime. (Plus super simple to customize with your own favorite veggies.)
Vegetable Barley Soup is such a classic cold-weather comfort meal. It’s super warm and cozy, plus filled with colorful veggies. And I love the addition of chewy, tender pearled barley in soups – so pleasantly filling and satisfying.
In winter, I like to make use of any frozen vegetables I happen to have on hand. (Usually peas, sweet corn, green beans, and broccoli.) Of course feel free to customize this soup with your own favorites! Cabbage, bell pepper, mushrooms, zucchini, or even greens stirred in at the end are all lovely additions.
Barley contains gluten, so for those with allergies/sensitivities, simply replace it with rice, quinoa, or your favorite GF pasta for a gluten-free version. And if you’re looking for more cozy soups, here are a few more of our favorites:
- Chickpea Noodle Soup
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- Vegan Corn & Potato Chowder
- Healing Turmeric Noodle Soup
Vegetable Barley Soup
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup pearled barley, uncooked
- 1 1/2 cups cut green beans (I use frozen)
- 1 cup sweet corn (I use frozen)
- 1 cup peas (I use frozen)
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. white miso (to stir in at the end)
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Dice onion.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, saute onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/vegetable broth for no-oil saute method.)
- Meanwhile, dice carrot and mince garlic.
- When onions are translucent, add carrot, garlic, basil, and oregano. Stir and saute 1 minute.
- Add broth, tomatoes with juice, and green beans. Increase heat and bring to a light boil.
- Rinse barley well.
- When broth is lightly boiling, add barley. Stir and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for about 35-40 minutes or until barley is tender. (Add more broth or water if desired as the barley will soak up some liquid.)
- When barley is cooked, stir in sweet corn and peas. Heat for 5 more minutes.
- Optional (but recommended!) miso addition: in a small bowl, whisk 1 Tbsp. white miso with 1/3 cup warm water to remove clumps. Add to pot right before serving and stir well to combine. (Or simply salt/pepper to taste as needed.)
- Great served with chopped parsley (or your favorite herbs).
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying this Vegetable Barley Soup? Also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make or adapt this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!)