Easy candied nuts naturally sweetened with maple syrup instead of refined sugar. Simple to make and delicious for snacking, salads, topping sweet potatoes, gift-giving, etc. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
Our family absolutely loves these candied nuts. They're a bit "healthier" (and I think tastier) than traditional candied nuts by replacing the typical refined sugar with naturally sweetened maple syrup goodness.
Plus there's a wonderful hint of cinnamon & vanilla that sends it over the top.
Ingredients for Maple Candied Nuts
For this recipe, you'll need 5 simple ingredients:
- Walnuts or pecans (or a blend of both)
- Pure maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon (I use Ceylon)
Ways to Use These Nuts
These sweet, tender, delicious nuts are lovely many ways:
- For snacking
- Sprinkled on salads (like this Berry Crunch Salad)
- Topping baked sweet potatoes
- On this Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- For gift giving
Maple-Vanilla Candied Nuts
- 2 cups walnuts* (or pecans or both)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon (or more if desired)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Combine all ingredients in a small non-stick sauté pan over medium heat.
- Stir well with a spatula to thoroughly coat/combine.
- Bring to a light simmer (soft bubbles not vigorously bubbling) stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium-low (to prevent burning). The mixture will be thin/liquidy at first, and then becomes very thick/sticky after a few minutes. Continue lightly simmering until the maple syrup has crystallized, about 20 minutes total, stirring often. (If the nuts are sticky, then keep going. Low and slow is the key.)
- When nuts are crystallized (see photos for texture reference), pour the candied nuts out onto a flat surface. (I place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet.) Gently spread them out with a spatula and let cool.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
For more holiday themed snacks, also feel free to check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make this recipe! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated - thank you!)