Although the recipe calls for a 15 oz. can of tomato sauce, we only used about 10-12 oz. to our taste. I’d suggest starting with less and add more as you like. Or feel free to substitute 1-2 cups of your favorite marinara sauce for the tomato sauce, and tweak the seasonings from there. Fresh basil makes a great garnish before serving!
Vegan Pizza Quinoa Casserole
- 1 1/2 cups white quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 3 roma tomatoes (or grape/cherry tomatoes)
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 3 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce (or less to taste)
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella shreds (Miyoko's, Daiya, Follow Your Heart, etc.)
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cook quinoa: in a saucepan, add rinsed quinoa and 3 cups water (or veggie broth for more flavor). Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, chop onion, green pepper, and tomatoes. Mince garlic.
- In a skillet over medium heat, saute onion, green pepper, and sliced mushrooms with salt for about 10 minutes or until softened. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil saute method.)
- Add garlic, stir, and saute 1 more minute.
- When quinoa is cooked, place it in a large mixing bowl. Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, spinach, mozzarella, sauteed vegetables (any excess liquid removed), basil, and oregano. Stir to combine.
- Spread mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish (lightly sprayed if desired) and gently press down. Top with a light sprinkle of cheese if desired.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil if desired.