Veggie Supreme Pizza Quinoa Casserole! All the delicious flavors of your favorite pizza… in healthy quinoa casserole form! (Vegan, gluten-free)
I thought it might be fun for two of my favorite things (pizza + quinoa) to join forces. I couldn’t help but go all in with a veggie supreme using garlic, onion, mushroom, tomato, spinach, and green pepper. We were even treated with the wonderful smell of pizza as it baked! (And it’s definitely worth noting that the leftovers make a great take-along lunch.)
Although the recipe calls for a 15 oz. can of tomato sauce, we only used about 10-12 oz. to our taste. I’d suggest starting with less and add more as you like. Or feel free to substitute 1-2 cups of your favorite marinara sauce for the tomato sauce, and tweak the seasonings from there. Fresh basil makes a great garnish before serving!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make or adapt this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!)
Vegan Pizza Quinoa Casserole
- 1 1/2 cups white quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 3 roma tomatoes (or grape/cherry tomatoes)
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 3 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce (or less to taste)
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella shreds (Miyoko's, Follow Your Heart, etc.)
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cook quinoa: in a saucepan, add rinsed quinoa and 3 cups water (or veggie broth for more flavor). Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, chop onion, green pepper, and tomatoes. Mince garlic.
- In a skillet over medium heat, saute onion, green pepper, and sliced mushrooms with salt for about 10 minutes or until softened. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil saute method.)
- Add garlic, stir, and saute 1 more minute.
- When quinoa is cooked, place it in a large mixing bowl. Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, spinach, mozzarella, sauteed vegetables (any excess liquid removed), basil, and oregano. Stir to combine.
- Spread mixture into a 9×13 inch baking dish (lightly sprayed if desired) and gently press down. Top with a light sprinkle of cheese if desired.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil if desired.