We're wild for this Southwest Chopped Salad tossed in the most delicious, creamy avocado cilantro-lime dressing. So fresh and flavorful! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free option)
I'm excited to introduce our all-time favorite salad: this Southwestern Chopped Salad. It's such a gorgeous, nutritious, delicious burst of color.
Plus the homemade creamy cilantro-lime dressing is simple to make and provides a huge punch of fresh flavor.
Ingredients for Southwest Salad
For the salad, you'll need:
- Romaine lettuce
- Black beans
- Orange bell pepper (or other color)
- Cherry/grape tomatoes
- Sweet corn (cooked)
- Green onions (scallions)
- Creamy Cilantro-Lime Dressing (recipe below)
We think the creamy, flavorful cilantro-lime dressing and salad are a perfect marriage. So crisp and refreshing together!
For us, one recipe of the cilantro dressing is a great match for the amount of salad below. It's great for picnics, potlucks, and meal prep.
If making ahead of time, store the dressing and salad separately, then toss together before serving to keep it fresh & crisp.
Southwestern Chopped Salad with Cilantro-Lime Dressing
- 1 large head romaine
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 10 oz. cherry/grape tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked sweet corn (I use organic frozen corn and thaw it)
- 5 green onions
For the Creamy Cilantro-Lime Dressing:
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro (stems removed and roughly chopped)
- 1/2 avocado (or 1/2 cup plain vegan yogurt)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (about 1 lime, more to taste)
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup olive oil (for oil-free, sub a little water to thin)
- 1 1/2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Recommended: agave & cumin to taste
- Make the dressing: blend all dressing ingredients in a food processor/blender until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. (I love the addition of a little cumin, and also agave to sweeten.)
- Chop romaine, bell pepper, tomatoes, and green onions. Rinse and drain black beans.
- Place all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Toss with desired amount of dressing.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying this Southwest Chopped Salad? Also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make this. (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated - thank you!)