I’ve made this enchilada sauce countless times and it’s been great on a variety of different enchiladas. (People have enjoyed it on both these Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas & Protein Monster Vegan Enchiladas!)
The sauce is mild as written, so if you prefer spiciness try a little chipotle or cayenne pepper to kick it up. My favorite variation is adding smoked paprika + chipotle powder (usually about 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. in place of the chili powder) which gives it a wonderful, smoky kick. It’s fun to play around with different spices and I’d love to hear your variations if you give it a try!
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram 🍓 and share a pic if you make/adapt this! I always love seeing your recreations.
- 3 cups organic low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (I use GF all-purpose)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- Salt/pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder.
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add tomato paste, and the bowl of flour and spices.
- Cook 1 minute, whisking continuously.
- Whisk in broth, increase heat, and bring to a light boil.
- Reduce to simmer. Cook about 8 minutes or until slightly thickened, whisking occasionally.
- Salt/pepper to taste.