Our favorite Mexican-inspired stovetop enchilada sauce! Made with a delicious seasoning blend, then perfect smothered over a wide variety of enchiladas.
*Note: this is not an authentic enchilada sauce but merely my own favorite stovetop version of one.
By making your own homemade sauces from scratch, you can control the ingredients and also leave out any extra additives & preservatives. Plus it tastes so much better and fresher than the canned or packaged alternatives!
Ingredients for Enchilada Sauce
- Tomato paste
- All-purpose flour (I use Bob's Red Mill gluten-free)
- Ground cumin
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Chili powder
- Vegetable broth
- Olive oil
The sauce is mild (if using mild chili powder) so if you prefer spiciness try a little chipotle or cayenne pepper.
My favorite variation is adding 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika and a touch of chipotle powder so it has a wonderful, smoky kick.
Ways to Use this Sauce
- Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas (pictured above)
- Protein Monster Vegan Enchiladas
- Easy Vegan Bean Enchiladas
- Vegetable Quinoa Enchiladas
- Black Bean Avocado Enchiladas
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I use GF all-purpose)
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Optional: 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika, dash of chipotle powder, etc.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder. (Or other spices of choice.)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil.
- Once oil is hot, carefully add tomato paste and the bowl of flour/spices.
- Cook for 1 minute, whisking continuously. (It will form a very thick mixture - just go with it!)
- Slowly whisk in broth. Then increase heat and bring to a light boil.
- Once lightly boiling, reduce heat to medium-low. Let sauce lightly simmer for about 8 minutes (or until thickened) whisking occasionally to break up clumps.
- Salt/pepper to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make this recipe! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try - thank you!)