Our favorite stovetop enchilada sauce! The perfect savory sauce to smother over your beautiful enchilada creations. (Vegan, gluten-free)
Have you tried making your own enchilada sauce? I love making homemade versions of staple sauces & seasonings. (Such as our favorite Taco Seasoning or Thai Peanut Sauce.) By making your own, you can control the ingredients and also leave out any funky additives & preservatives.
I’ve made this enchilada sauce countless times and it’s been great on a variety of different enchiladas. (People have enjoyed it on both these Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas & Protein Monster Vegan Enchiladas!)
The sauce is mild as written, so if you prefer spiciness try a little chipotle or cayenne pepper to kick it up. My favorite variation is adding smoked paprika + chipotle powder (usually about 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. in place of the chili powder) so it has a wonderful, smoky kick. It’s fun to play around with different spices and I’d love to hear your variations if you give it a try!
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram 🍓 and share a pic if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your recreations.
- 3 cups organic low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (I use GF all-purpose)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- Salt/pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder.
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add tomato paste, and the bowl of flour and spices.
- Cook 1 minute, whisking continuously.
- Whisk in broth, increase heat, and bring to a light boil.
- Reduce to simmer. Cook about 8 minutes or until slightly thickened, whisking occasionally.
- Salt/pepper to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Feel free to also check out the full “Mexican-Inspired” recipe archives for more plant-based inspiration!