Easy, classic Mushroom Barley Soup… with a kale nutrient boost! A satisfying, hearty vegan meal that’s perfect for chilly winter days.
This classic Mushroom Barley Soup is such a simple, hearty soup that’s perfect for chilly winter days. Plus it’s incredibly versatile.
Change up the seasonings and herbs depending on what you love, or incorporate your own favorite veggies. Potatoes, leeks, green peas, rutabaga, and zucchini would all be lovely additions.
One quick note that barley is not a gluten-free grain. So if you’re needing a gluten-free replacement, simple use your favorite brown rice or quinoa. Both would work wonderfully in this dish and are just as cozy and comforting.
Hope you enjoy as much as we do. If you’re looking for a similar variation, this Vegetable Barley Soup is both colorful and delicious as well!
Mushroom Barley Soup with Kale
- 1 onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 10 oz. mushrooms (I use cremini)
- 1/2 cup pearled barley
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning (or basil, oregano, etc.)
- 1-2 cups kale, chopped (or spinach)
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Prepare veggies: dice onion, carrot, and celery. Slice mushrooms.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, saute onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. veggie broth/water for no-oil saute method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic and Italian seasoning. Stir and saute 1 minute.
- Add carrot, celery, and mushrooms. Stir and saute 2-3 minutes.
- Add 6 cups vegetable broth. Increase heat and bring to a light boil.
- Meanwhile, rinse barley. When soup is lightly boiling, add barley. Stir, reduce heat to med-low, cover, and simmer for about 35 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Roughly chop kale, large stems removed.
- Stir in kale and white wine vinegar during the last couple minutes of cooking. Salt/pepper to taste before serving. (Or garnish with fresh parsley or dill.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you’re enjoying this vegan mushroom barley soup, also feel free to check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is always greatly appreciated – thank you!)