I love how a simple sauce can really elevate a dish. Sauces have taken recipes like these Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas and Southwestern Chopped Salad to a whole other level. So when I was craving a burrito bowl, I wanted a brand new sauce to drizzle over it.
This creamy, zesty chipotle sauce was just the ticket. This meal is awesome because if you’re short on time, you can cook the rice, prep the veggies, and make the chipotle sauce beforehand for a quick meal to throw together come dinnertime. Just pull everything out of the fridge and it’s ready to heat and assemble. (Woo!)
If you’d like to customize your own burrito bowl, see the notes and photos below the recipe for easy tips on building your own!
(And come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram 🍓 and share a photo if you make or adapt this! I love seeing what you guys cook up.)
Burrito Bowl with Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2-3 roma tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups corn (I used frozen corn, thawed)
- 2 cups romaine lettuce
- Other additions: onion, green onion, bell pepper, avocado, cilantro
For the Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- 1/2 cup plain coconut yogurt (or 2/3 cup silken tofu)
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tsp. adobo sauce
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/8 tsp. cumin
- Cook rice according to package instructions
- While rice is cooking, make the creamy chipotle sauce: scrape away the seeds from the chipotle with a knife (use caution when handling chipotle, and wash your hands when done.) Add all sauce ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend/pulse until smooth.
- Chop the romaine and dice the tomatoes.
- When the rice is fully cooked, stir in the salsa. (Salsa rice!)
- Begin layering your bowl: start with a bed of salsa rice, then (rinsed and drained) black beans, and vegetables.
- Drizzle the creamy chipotle sauce on top and enjoy.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN BURRITO BOWL
#1 Start with a bed of rice or quinoa
#2 Add a protein punch
#3 Pile on a mountain of veggies
#4 Get saucy & enjoy!
Ultimate List of 110+ Vegan Mexican Recipes