The BEST Vegan Burrito Bowl with creamy chipotle sauce! Assemble your own Mexican rice bowl with all your favorite toppings for a satisfying weeknight meal.
This easy vegan burrito bowl is a perfect & satisfying weeknight dinner! I love how a flavorful sauce can really elevate a dish. Simple, homemade sauces have taken recipes like these Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas and Southwestern Chopped Salad to a whole other level. So when I was craving a burrito bowl with all the fixings, I wanted a brand new sauce to drizzle over it. And this creamy, zesty chipotle sauce hit the spot!
This meal is awesome because if you’re short on time, you can cook the rice, prep the veggies, and make the chipotle sauce beforehand for a quick meal to throw together come dinnertime. Just pull everything out of the fridge and it’s ready to heat and assemble. (Woo!) It also makes a wonderful family-friendly weeknight meal. Everyone can have fun assembling their own bowl with their own favorite toppings. (Burrito bowl bar for the win!)
Want to customize your own burrito bowl? See the tutorial below the recipe for simple tips on building your own!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make or adapt this! I love seeing what you guys cook up. (Or leave a star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Burrito Bowl with Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2-3 roma tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups corn (I used frozen corn, thawed)
- 2 cups romaine lettuce
- Other additions: onion, green onion, bell pepper, avocado, cilantro
For the Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- 1/2 cup plain coconut yogurt (or 2/3 cup silken tofu)
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tsp. adobo sauce
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/8 tsp. cumin
- Cook rice according to package instructions
- While rice is cooking, make the creamy chipotle sauce: scrape away the seeds from the chipotle with a knife (use caution when handling chipotle, and wash your hands when done.) Add all sauce ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend/pulse until smooth.
- Chop the romaine and dice the tomatoes.
- When the rice is fully cooked, stir in the salsa. (Salsa rice!)
- Begin layering your bowl: start with a bed of salsa rice, then (rinsed and drained) black beans, and vegetables.
- Drizzle the creamy chipotle sauce on top and enjoy.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN VEGAN BURRITO BOWL
#1: Start with a bed of rice or quinoa
I like to make “salsa rice”. After the rice/quinoa is done cooking simply stir in some salsa. (Sometimes I add lime juice and cilantro for an extra flavor boost as well!)
#2: Add a protein punch
Classic black beans, vegan refried beans, and pinto beans are all great! Or try spiced tofu (sofritas) or tempeh crumbles.
#3: Pile on a mountain of veggies
Combine your favorite flavors and fresh textures: lettuce, tomatoes, onion, sweet corn, bell pepper, avocado, cilantro, etc.
#4: Get saucy & enjoy!
The last stop is where the flavor comes in:
Creamy chipotle sauce, cilantro-lime dressing, restaurant-style salsa, guacamole, fresh pico de gallo, etc. Pick your favorite (or a couple favorites) and enjoy!