Easy Vegan Burrito Bowl with black beans and creamy chipotle sauce! Assemble your own Mexican-inspired rice bowl with all your favorite toppings for a satisfying weeknight meal.
This easy vegan burrito bowl is a perfect & satisfying weeknight dinner. I love how a flavorful sauce can really elevate a dish. Simple homemade sauces have taken recipes like these Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas and Southwestern Chopped Salad to a whole other level.
So when I was craving a burrito bowl with all the fixings, I wanted a brand new sauce to drizzle over it. And this creamy, zesty chipotle sauce hit the spot.
If you want to plan ahead you can cook the rice, prepare the veggies, and make the chipotle sauce beforehand for a quick meal to throw together come dinnertime. Just pull everything out of the fridge and it’s ready to heat and assemble.
Plus it’s family-friendly because everyone can have fun assembling their own bowl with their own favorite toppings. (Burrito bowl bar for the win!)
Customize your own Vegan Burrito Bowl
For customizing your own, see the tutorial below the recipe for tips on building your own flavorful bowls.
Vegan Burrito Bowl with Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup salsa (I like homemade blender salsa)
- 15 oz. can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2-3 roma tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups corn (I used frozen corn, thawed)
- 2 cups romaine lettuce
- Other additions: onion, green onion, bell pepper, avocado, cilantro
For the Creamy Chipotle Sauce:
- 1/2 cup vegan yogurt, plain & unsweetened (or 2/3 cup silken tofu)
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tsp. adobo sauce
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (about 1/2 lime)
- 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
- Cook rice according to package instructions
- While rice is cooking, make the creamy chipotle sauce: scrape away the seeds from the chipotle with a knife (use caution when handling chipotle, and wash your hands when done.) Add all sauce ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend/pulse until smooth.
- Chop the romaine and dice the tomatoes.
- When the rice is fully cooked, stir in the salsa. (Salsa rice!)
- Begin layering your bowl: start with a bed of salsa rice, then black beans (rinsed and drained), and vegetables.
- Drizzle the creamy chipotle sauce on top before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN VEGAN BURRITO BOWL
1. Start with a bed of rice or quinoa
I like to make “salsa rice”. After the rice/quinoa is done cooking, stir in some Blender Salsa for added flavor. (Sometimes I add lime juice and cilantro as well.)
2. Add a protein punch
Classic black beans, vegan refried beans, and pinto beans are all great! Or try spiced tofu (sofritas) or tempeh crumbles.
3. Pile on a mountain of veggies
Combine your favorite flavors and fresh textures: lettuce, tomatoes, onion, sweet corn, bell pepper, avocado, cilantro, etc.
4. Get saucy
Finish it off with flavorful, saucy goodness. Pick your favorite (or a couple favorites) and enjoy:
- Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- Cilantro-Lime Dressing
- Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa
- Fresh Pico de Gallo
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!)