Cozy Vegan Split Pea Soup with creamy sweet potatoes and a smoky touch! Our whole family loves this simple, satisfying meal filled with plant-based protein and nutrients… and it’s only 7 healthy ingredients! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
Nutrient-packed split peas combine with creamy sweet potatoes in this delightful soup. It’s rather humble-looking, but don’t let that deter you because the taste is all kinds of smoky & savory & delicious.
This is one of my daughter’s most requested meals. I love how it’s only 7 simple ingredients but packed with fiber, protein, iron, and plenty of other plant-based goodness.
Ingredients for Split Pea Soup
- Split peas (I use green)
- Sweet potato
- Smoked paprika
- Vegetable broth
It makes a large batch so halve if desired. If you like a spicy kick, add chipotle which provides another tasty layer of smokiness.
This Everyday Split Pea Soup is also a lovely way to enjoy split peas.
Smoky Split Pea & Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 cups split peas (1 lb. bag)
- 1 large onion
- 1-2 medium carrots
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika (more to taste)
- 7 cups vegetable broth (or 4 cups broth + 3 cups water)
- Salt to taste
- Optional: tomatoes, spinach, kale, chipotle, hot sauce for topping
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes. Dice onion and carrot.
- In a large stockpot over med-high heat, saute onion and carrot for 5-7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/veg broth for no-oil saute method.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic.
- Add sweet potatoes, garlic, and smoked paprika to the pot. Stir and saute 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth and 3 cups water.
- Rinse split peas well and drain. Add to pot.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until split peas are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Salt to taste. Serve as is, or blend* (our favorite!)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying this vegan split pea soup? Also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!)