This has been my daughter’s most requested meal for the past 4 years now. The addition of sweet potatoes and smoked paprika is delightful and I love how the soup is only 7 simple ingredients but packed with flavor. It makes a great vegan/gluten-free option with tons of fiber, protein, iron, and plenty of other goodness. It makes a pretty big batch so be sure to cut in half if desired! And if you don’t mind a spicy kick, I suggest adding chipotle which gives another beautiful layer of smokiness. Hope you enjoy as much as we do!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram 🍓 and share a pic if you make/adapt this! I love seeing your recreations.
Smoky Split Pea & Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 cups split peas (1 lb. bag)
- 1 large onion
- 1-2 carrots
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika (more to taste)
- 4 cups vegetable broth + 3 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Optional: tomatoes, spinach, kale, chipotle, hot sauce for topping
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes. Dice onion and carrot.
- In a large stockpot over med-high heat, saute onion and carrot for 5-7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/veg broth for no-oil saute method.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and rinse split peas well.
- Add sweet potatoes, garlic, and paprika to the pot. Stir and saute 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth, 3 cups water, and split peas.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until split peas are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Salt to taste. Serve as is, or blend (our favorite!)*