Deliciously simple strawberry spinach salad paired with the most amazing tomato-balsamic vinaigrette! One of our very favorite salad and dressing combinations.
My mother-in-law made a similar strawberry spinach salad from her “Marshall Field’s Cookbook” years ago and I immediately fell in love. It’s been a recurring salad in our kitchen ever since, and one of the first recipes I posted on this blog. (But we love it so much I wanted to update the photos to share with you all.)
The sweet strawberries and tender spinach pair amazingly with the tangy balsamic vinaigrette. The dressing keeps for up to 5 days in the fridge and tastes even better after the flavors mingle so it’s definitely something you can make ahead of time. The recipe makes enough vinaigrette to have some extra. (I like to use it on other salads throughout the week.) So reduce/cut in half if you don’t want leftovers. Hope you enjoy if you give it a try!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Or leave a review/star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Strawberry Spinach Salad with Tomato Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 6 oz. baby spinach
- 8 oz. strawberries (sliced)
- 1/2 small red onion (thinly sliced)
For the Tomato-Balsamic Dressing:
- 2 large roma tomatoes (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 shallots (1/2 cup chopped)
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Make the dressing: in a blender combine tomatoes, garlic, shallot, balsamic vinegar, and mustard. Blend until smooth. With motor running, slowly add olive oil then salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, toss spinach with about 2/3 cup dressing (more or less to taste).
- Place spinach on plates and top with strawberries, onion, and another drizzle of dressing if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this strawberry spinach salad? Also feel free to check out the full “Vegan Salad” recipe archives on the site for more fresh inspiration! (Or this other berry favorite: Blueberry Basil Salad Dressing.)