Tofu marinated in an Asian-style garlic sauce that’s packed with savory, delicious flavor! An easy dish that’s perfect with a side of rice & steamed veggies.
I love that this dish is so simple, yet booming with flavor. The tofu marinates in a sticky sweet sauce made with hoisin, garlic, and tamari. If you’re not familiar with hoisin sauce, I hope you get familiar! It’s like a thick, flavorful Asian BBQ sauce. (Yes!) The first time I used it was for this Vegetable Lo Mein and knew I had to start working it into more meals. The flavor and texture is perfect for an easy marinade like this one.
How to make Asian Garlic Tofu
First, remove the excess liquid from the tofu by lightly pressing. Then mix together the (super simple) marinade in a pan:
Next, cube your tofu and mix it with the garlic sauce. Chill for 30 minutes (or more) to let the beautiful flavors soak up!
Then just heat through on a skillet and you’ve got a delicious, savory meal! Feel free to modify the sauce as you see fit. Freshly grated ginger is also a lovely addition. Or try red pepper flakes for a spicy version. Plus it’s an easy dish to prepare beforehand. Since the tofu marinates in the fridge, feel free to make it a couple hours ahead of time. A little extra marinating time will only help it soak up more flavor. Hope you enjoy as much as we do!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your recreations. (Or leave a star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Asian Garlic Tofu with Rice
- 1 cup rice (or quinoa)
- 1 lb. extra firm tofu
- 4-5 green onions
- 1-2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- Optional: freshly grated ginger, red pepper flakes, sesame seeds for topping
For the Asian Garlic Sauce:
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce (*see notes for gluten-free)
- 2 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- Remove excess moisture from the tofu by gently pressing it between towels. Then cut it into about 1 inch cubes.
- Mince garlic. Then in a shallow pan, (I use an 8×8" glass baking dish) add the 3 ingredients for the garlic sauce. Stir to combine.
- Add tofu cubes to the sauce and gently toss until thoroughly coated. Cover and refrigerate to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook rice (or quinoa) according to package directions.
- After tofu marinates and rice is almost finished cooking, begin cooking the tofu: in a skillet, heat sesame oil over medium heat.
- Add the marinated tofu and spread out in a single layer. Cook without stirring for 5 minutes or until browned on one side. Flip them, and cook for another few minutes.
- Slice green onions and add to the pan during the last 1-2 minutes of cooking. (Sometimes I add a little more hoisin or tamari if it becomes dry.)
- Serve tofu over a hot bed of rice, garnished with sesame seeds or more green onions if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this Asian Tofu? Feel free to also check out the full “Asian-Inspired” recipe archives on the blog for more plant-based inspiration! (Or other tofu favorites like: Easy Baked Savory Tofu & Teriyaki Baked Tofu)