Tofu marinated in an Asian-inspired garlic sauce that’s packed with savory, delicious flavor! An easy dish that’s perfect with a side of rice & steamed veggies.
I love that this dish is so simple, yet booming with flavor. The tofu marinates in a sticky sweet sauce made with hoisin, garlic, and tamari. If you’re not familiar with hoisin sauce, I hope you get familiar! It’s like a thick, flavorful Asian-style BBQ sauce. (Yes!)
The first time I used it was for this Vegetable Lo Mein and knew I had to start working it into more meals. The flavor and texture is perfect for an easy marinade like this one.
How to Make Asian-Style Garlic Tofu
- First, remove the excess liquid from the tofu. (Either lightly press between towels, or use a tofu press if you have one.)
- Then prepare the garlic sauce in a shallow pan.
- Next, cube your tofu.
- Toss it in the garlic sauce to coat.
- Then let it chill it in the fridge for 30+ minutes. The flavors will soak up & intensify. (No worries if you don’t have time to marinate – the flavors won’t be quite as bold, but it will still taste great.)
- Finally, heat on a skillet and enjoy!
- We love pairing it with brown rice and broccoli.
Modify the sauce as you see fit. Freshly grated ginger is also lovely, or red pepper flakes for a spicy version.
Asian-Style Garlic Tofu
- 14 oz. extra-firm tofu
- 4 green onions
- 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- Optional for serving: cooked brown rice, quinoa, noodles, sesame seeds for topping
For the Garlic Sauce:
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce (see notes for gluten-free)
- 2 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- Remove excess moisture from the tofu by gently pressing it between towels. Then cut it into bite-sized cubes. (I cut mine about 3/4-inch.) Set aside.
- Make the sauce: mince garlic. Then in a shallow pan (I use an 8×8" glass baking dish) add the three ingredients for the garlic sauce. Stir to combine.
- Add tofu cubes to the sauce and gently toss until thoroughly coated. (*Optional: if you have time, cover and refrigerate to marinate for at least 30 minutes or a few hours.)
- When ready, cook the tofu: in a medium/large skillet, heat sesame oil over medium heat.
- Once oil is hot, carefully add the marinated tofu (with any remaining sauce) and spread out the cubes in a single layer. Simmer and cook without stirring for 5-7 minutes or until lightly seared on one side. Flip, and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice green onions and add to the pan during the last 1-2 minutes of cooking. (Sometimes I add a little more hoisin or tamari if the pan becomes dry. The sauce should almost completely absorb into the tofu however.)
- Great served warm over brown rice/quinoa (and garnished with sesame seeds or more green onions if desired).
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying this Asian Tofu? Also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!)