Fresh, crisp green beans with flavorful shallots and tomato! A simple and delicious side, especially in summer. (Vegan, gluten-free)
As much as I love eating green beans plain, it’s nice to jazz them up sometimes too. They pair great with this warm tomato shallot dressing. It has a nice zing from the red wine vinegar, and sweetness from the fresh, juicy tomatoes. (The leftovers are great too – I even eat them cold!) It’s such a beautiful side dish to enjoy in the summer time with nice fresh garden produce. Be sure to check out your local food co-ops, farm stands, and farmer’s markets during the summer!
Hope you enjoy this simple side dish as much as we do! Now that fresh green beans are back in season what’s your favorite way to eat them?
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Or leave a review/star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Green Beans with Shallots & Tomato
- 1 lb. green beans
- 2 shallots
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar (or white)
- Salt to taste
- Trim ends off green beans. Dice tomatoes and slice shallots.
- Steam the green beans for about 4-5 minutes, until just tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, saute shallots with a little salt for 4-5 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/veggie broth for no-oil saute method, adding more as needed.)
- Add diced tomatoes and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add red wine vinegar and heat for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat, add steamed green beans, and mix well to combine the dressing with the beans.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying these green beans with shallots? Also feel free to check out the full “Vegan Sides” recipe archives on the site for more tasty plant based inspiration! (Or this simple Sauteed Portobello with Spinach.)