A satisfying and protein-packed vegan breakfast! Southwest tofu scramble with black beans, tomato, cilantro, and flavorful fiesta flavors. (Vegan, gluten-free)
I love hearty, filling breakfasts on the weekends whenever we have a little more time to linger. This recipe is adapted from my Tofu Scramble with Spinach & Tomato. But with a southwestern flare! The black beans and tofu combine for a satisfying protein boost. Plus a fresh burst of cilantro to brighten it up. It’s great topped with avocado and salsa (like this fresh pico de gallo) before serving. And I also love spooning it in tortillas for a breakfast taco or burrito. Kick it up with jalapeno, cayenne pepper, or chipotle if you like some spice!
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Or leave a star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Southwest Tofu Scramble
- 15 oz. can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2-3 roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro (stems removed)
- 1 lb. extra-firm tofu
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Salt to taste
- Avocado slices, salsa, pico de gallo, hot sauce, etc.
- Dice onion and mince garlic.
- In a large pan over medium heat, saute onion with a little salt for 7-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, crumble tofu and dice tomatoes.
- Add garlic to the pan, and cook for 30 seconds. Add crumbled tofu and tomato. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the tofu is cooking, put the cumin, paprika, and turmeric in a small bowl. Add 1-2 Tbsp. water, and stir to combine.
- Add seasonings and nutritional yeast to the pan. Stir well to combine.
- Add beans (start with half the can and add more as you desire).
- Add cilantro and cook another 3 minutes or until beans are heated through.
- Serve with avocado and/or salsa if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this Southwest Tofu Scramble? Also feel free to check out the full “Vegan Breakfast” recipe archives on the site for more plant based inspiration! (Or this Creamy Banana Matcha Smoothie, Peanut Butter Granola, or Vanilla Almond Overnight Oats for more breakfast goodness.)