A satisfying and protein-packed vegan breakfast! Southwestern tofu scramble with black beans, tomato, cilantro. (Vegan, gluten-free)
I love hearty, filling breakfasts on the weekends whenever we have a little more time to linger. This recipe is adapted from my Tofu Scramble, but with a southwestern flare! The black beans + tofu combine for a satisfying protein boost, plus a fresh burst of cilantro to brighten it up. It’s great served with avocado and salsa, and I love putting it in tortillas for a breakfast taco or burrito. Kick it up with jalapeno, cayenne pepper, or chipotle if you like some spice!
Southwestern Tofu Scramble
A satisfying, protein-packed vegan breakfast! Southwestern tofu scramble with black beans, tomato, cilantro.
- 15 oz. can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2-3 roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro (stems removed)
- 1 lb. extra-firm tofu
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (I use this brand)
- Salt to taste
- Avocado slices, salsa, pico de gallo, hot sauce, etc.
- Dice onion and mince garlic.
- In a large pan over medium heat, saute onion with a little salt for 7-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, crumble tofu and dice tomatoes.
- Add garlic to the pan, and cook for 30 seconds. Add crumbled tofu and tomato. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the tofu is cooking, put the cumin, paprika, and turmeric in a small bowl. Add 1-2 Tbsp. water, and stir to combine.
- Add seasonings and nutritional yeast to the pan. Stir well to combine.
- Add beans (start with half the can and add more as you desire).
- Add cilantro and cook another 3 minutes or until beans are heated through.
- Serve with avocado and/or salsa if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Calories: 199kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 3g | Potassium: 740mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1015IU | Vitamin C: 10.4mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 4.9mg
Disclosure: The Garden Grazer is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to amazon.com and affiliated sites. I only share things I absolutely LOVE and personally use! (There is no additional cost to you in clicking the affiliate link.)