A satisfying and protein-packed vegan breakfast! Southwest tofu scramble with black beans, tomato, cilantro, and flavorful fiesta flavors. (Vegan, gluten-free)
I love hearty, filling breakfasts on the weekends whenever we have a little more time to linger. This recipe is adapted from my Tofu Scramble with Spinach & Tomato. But with a southwestern flare! The black beans and tofu combine for a satisfying protein boost. Plus a fresh burst of cilantro to brighten it up. It’s great topped with avocado and salsa (like this fresh pico de gallo) before serving. And I also love spooning it in tortillas for a breakfast taco or burrito. Kick it up with jalapeno, cayenne pepper, or chipotle if you like some spice!
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Or leave a star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Southwest Tofu Scramble
- 15 oz. can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2-3 roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro (stems removed)
- 1 lb. extra-firm tofu
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (I use this brand)
- Salt to taste
- Avocado slices, salsa, pico de gallo, hot sauce, etc.
- Dice onion and mince garlic.
- In a large pan over medium heat, saute onion with a little salt for 7-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, crumble tofu and dice tomatoes.
- Add garlic to the pan, and cook for 30 seconds. Add crumbled tofu and tomato. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the tofu is cooking, put the cumin, paprika, and turmeric in a small bowl. Add 1-2 Tbsp. water, and stir to combine.
- Add seasonings and nutritional yeast to the pan. Stir well to combine.
- Add beans (start with half the can and add more as you desire).
- Add cilantro and cook another 3 minutes or until beans are heated through.
- Serve with avocado and/or salsa if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this Southwest Tofu Scramble? Also check out the full “Vegan Breakfast” recipe archives on the site for more plant based inspiration!
Disclosure: The Garden Grazer is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to amazon.com and affiliated sites. I only share things I absolutely LOVE and also personally use! (There is no additional cost to you in clicking the affiliate link.)