These delicious BBQ tempeh wraps with spinach are quick and easy to assemble! A satisfying, protein-packed vegan weeknight meal.
These BBQ tempeh wraps are so flavorful and satisfying. (Plus I find the leftovers are great too!)
Tempeh, which is made from fermented soybeans, is a great source of protein, fiber, and many other nutrients. It's also fairly inexpensive and simple to prepare. So it makes a great choice for easy weeknight meals.
Ingredients for BBQ Tempeh Wrap
For this recipe you will need:
- Tempeh (some store-bought tempeh includes various grains so be sure to find gluten-free if desired)
- BBQ sauce
- Yellow onion
- Bell pepper
- Fresh baby spinach
- Roma tomatoes (or other tomato)
- Nutritional yeast (or simply your favorite vegan cheese shreds if desired)
- Wraps or tortillas of choice (I try to find whole grain when possible)
Black bean are also a great addition to this dish.
BBQ Tempeh Wraps with Spinach
- 8 oz. tempeh (gluten-free if desired)
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 small bell pepper (any color)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1-2 cups fresh baby spinach (or romaine, etc.)
- 1-2 roma tomatoes
- Nutritional yeast for sprinkling (or vegan cheese shreds)
- 3 wraps/tortillas of choice (gluten-free if desired)
- Crumble tempeh and place in a bowl with BBQ sauce. Stir well and set aside to marinate.
- Finely dice onion and bell pepper. Mince garlic.
- In a pan over medium-high heat, sauté onion and bell pepper for about 6-7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Add minced garlic. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the BBQ tempeh mixture. Stir well and cook 5 minutes until heated through.
- Assemble wraps: place BBQ tempeh mixture down the center of tortilla. Sprinkle nutritional yeast (or cheese) on top, then add spinach, sliced/chopped tomato, or any other toppings. Roll up with one end tucked in.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
For more tempeh recipe inspiration, also check out:
- Vegan TLT Sandwich (Tempeh Lettuce Tomato)
- BBQ Tempeh Sloppy Joes
- Teriyaki Vegetable Stir Fry with Tempeh
- Tempeh Mushroom Pasta
- Black Bean Tempeh Tacos
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this recipe! I love seeing your creations. (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated - thank you!)