Super flavorful Lentil Salad with spinach & tomatoes tossed in an easy balsamic-dijon dressing! Fresh, healthy, nutrient-packed, and great for take-along lunches! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free option)
Beautiful lentils! It seems like they’re gaining popularity lately – which in my opinion, they totally deserve 😉 They’re inexpensive, easy to cook, and pack a big nutrient and protein punch. I always keep a jar of them on hand since they cook easily and are great for adding to soups and salads.
After making this dish a few times, my husband called it one of his favorite lentil dishes so I wanted to get it posted. It may look modest, but the big flavors keep us coming back for more. The simple balsamic-dijon dressing brings it all together, while the capers add a nice, salty pop. Chives can be a little harder to find, so replace with a little shallot or green onion if needed. We like to keep a batch in the fridge throughout the week for quick snacks, and it’s an awesome choice for packed lunches as well!
Lentil Salad with Capers and Balsamic-Dijon Dressing
- 1 cup green/brown lentils (uncooked)
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 2-3 oz. spinach
- 1/4 cup chives (or shallot or green onion)
- 2 Tbsp. capers
For the balsamic-dijon dressing:
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (omit for oil-free)
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- Cook lentils according to package directions, leaving firm, not mushy.
- While lentils are cooking, make the dressing: in a small bowl combine all ingredients and whisk.
- Roughly chop the spinach and chives, and dice tomatoes. Place in a large bowl.
- When lentils are done cooking, drain, and immediately add to large bowl with spinach and tomatoes. The heat from the lentils will slightly wilt the spinach.
- Add the dressing and capers and stir to combine.