Super flavorful Lentil Salad with spinach & tomatoes tossed in an easy balsamic-dijon dressing! Fresh, healthy, nutrient-packed, and great for take-along lunches! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free option)
Beautiful lentils! It seems like they’re gaining popularity lately – which in my opinion, they totally deserve 😉 They’re inexpensive, easy to cook, and pack a big nutrient and protein punch. I always keep a jar of them on hand since they cook easily and are great for adding to soups and salads.
After making this dish a few times, my husband called it one of his favorite lentil dishes so I wanted to get it posted. It may look modest, but the big flavors keep us coming back for more. The simple balsamic-dijon dressing brings it all together, while the capers add a nice, salty pop. Chives can be a little harder to find, so replace with a little shallot or green onion if needed. We like to keep a batch in the fridge throughout the week for quick snacks, and it’s an awesome choice for packed lunches as well!
Lentil Salad with Capers and Balsamic-Dijon Dressing
- 1 cup green/brown lentils (uncooked)
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 2-3 oz. spinach
- 1/4 cup chives (or shallot or green onion)
- 2 Tbsp. capers
For the dressing
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (omit for oil-free)
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- Cook lentils according to package directions, leaving firm, not mushy.
- While lentils are cooking, make the dressing: in a small bowl combine all ingredients and whisk.
- Roughly chop the spinach and chives, and dice tomatoes. Place in a large bowl.
- When lentils are done cooking, drain, and immediately add to large bowl with spinach and tomatoes. The heat from the lentils will slightly wilt the spinach.
- Add the dressing and capers and stir to combine.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this Lentil Salad? Also feel free to check out the full “Vegan Salad” recipe archives on the site for more fresh and tasty plant based inspiration!