Easy, healthy Lentil Spinach Soup spiked with flavorful cumin and smoked paprika! A nutrient-dense plant-based meal and also freezer-friendly.
This simple Lentil Spinach Soup is made with budget-friendly ingredients, plus it's so thick, hearty, and satisfying. I enjoy soup all year long, but especially in the winter when I can cozy up to a warm, nourishing bowl by the fire.
This recipe is one of our favorites (along with the Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili).
Ingredients for Lentil Spinach Soup
For this recipe you'll need:
- Green/brown lentils
- Canned diced tomatoes (fire-roasted if desired)
- Vegetable broth
- Fresh baby spinach
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
This easy soup is hearty and flavorful enough for meat-lovers, but vegan and every bit delicious. Plus it's spiked with two of my favorite spices: cumin & smoked paprika. I love that it's so simple but also nutrient-dense.
Lentils are a great, healthy option, packed with fiber, protein, and iron. If you like preparing freezer meals, this is an awesome choice to stash away.
Lentil Spinach Soup
- 1 onion
- 1-2 carrots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup green/brown lentils (uncooked)
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more to taste)
- Dice onion and carrot.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion and carrot for about 7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for oil-free sauté method.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic.
- Add garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, and salt to stockpot. Sauté 1 minute.
- Add broth, tomatoes, and lentils (rinsed and drained). Increase heat and bring to a light boil.
- Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop spinach. Add spinach during last couple minutes of cooking.
- Salt to taste. (Or add a dash of hot sauce before serving.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you're enjoying this Lentil Spinach Soup, also feel free to check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this recipe! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated - thank you!)