Easy, healthy Lentil Spinach Soup spiked with flavorful cumin and smoked paprika! A nutrient-dense plant-based meal and freezer-friendly. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
I have an insatiable appetite for soup year-round (even in the summer!) but of course my cravings kick into even higher gear in the cold weather months. I make at least one big batch of soup or chili every week, so I’m always sure to have some ready to reheat at a moment’s notice. This simple lentil soup is a frequent go-to meal (as well as my favorite Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili!)
Making Lentil Spinach Soup
This easy soup is hearty and flavorful enough for meat-lovers, but still vegan and every bit delicious. Plus it’s spiked with two of my favorite spices: cumin & smoked paprika! I love that it’s so simple yet nutrient-dense. Lentils are such a great, healthy option, packed with fiber, protein, and iron (and not to mention inexpensive). Plus the small mountain of spinach beautifully adds vitamins, calcium, and folate. If you like preparing freezer meals, this is an awesome choice to stash away for a busy night. (You may also enjoy this Smoky Tomato Lentil Soup!)
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Or leave a review/star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Lentil Spinach Soup
- 1 onion
- 1-2 carrots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup green/brown lentils (uncooked)
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 oz. spinach
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more to taste)
- Dice onion and carrot.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, saute onion and carrot for about 7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for oil-free saute method.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and rinse lentils.
- Add garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, and salt to stockpot. Saute 1 minute.
- Add broth, tomatoes, and lentils. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop spinach.
- Add spinach during last couple minutes of cooking.
- Salt to taste. (Or add a dash of hot sauce before serving!)
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this Lentil Spinach Soup? Feel free to browse the full “Vegan Soup” recipes archives on the site for more cozy plant-based inspiration! (Or this other simple but delicious Lentil Vegetable Soup.)