Quinoa Minestrone Soup! Classic Minestrone gets a boost by swapping the pasta for nutrient-packed quinoa. (Vegan & gluten-free)
Classic minestrone is an Italian soup with veggies, beans, and pasta. But in this version, we give it a fun twist and swap out the pasta for quinoa! I really love the texture (not to mention nutrition boost) by adding quinoa to soups. It’s my favorite variation of this Ultimate Vegetable Soup and 30 Minute Minestrone Soup so far.
As always, soups are very versatile so don’t feel like you have to stay strict to the recipe. Add your own favorite veggies or play around with other herbs! Fresh parsley, basil, or cilantro adds a wonderful flavor burst. I even doubled the quinoa once to make it a thick minestrone stew. Would love to hear your own variations! Hope you enjoy.
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Or leave a review/recipe rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is always very appreciated!)
Vegan Quinoa Minestrone Soup
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 medium potatoes
- 8 oz. green beans (or frozen)
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can kidney beans
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup white quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 4 cups vegetable broth (+2 cups water)
- Salt to taste
- Dice onion, carrots, potatoes. Cut green beans in 1-inch pieces. Mince garlic.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, saute onion 5 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil saute method.)
- Add potatoes, carrots, green beans, oregano, and basil to the stockpot. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook about 30 seconds.
- Add broth, 2 cups water, and tomatoes. Increase heat to bring to a light boil.
- Meanwhile, rinse and drain quinoa and kidney beans.
- Once boiling, add quinoa and beans.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 25 minutes until quinoa and potatoes are cooked through. Salt to taste.