Quinoa Minestrone Soup! Classic Minestrone gets a boost by swapping out the pasta for nutrient-packed quinoa instead. (Vegan & gluten-free)
Classic minestrone is an Italian soup with vegetables, beans, and pasta. But in this version, we give it a fun twist and swap out the pasta for quinoa! I really love the texture (not to mention nutrition boost) by adding quinoa to soups.
As always, soups are very versatile so don’t feel like you have to stay strict to the recipe. Add your own favorite veggies or play around with other herbs! Fresh parsley, basil, or cilantro adds a wonderful flavor burst. I even doubled the quinoa once to make it a thick minestrone stew. Would love to hear your own variations!
If you’re more in the mood for a “classic” minestrone, check out this recipe for 30 Minute Minestrone Soup.
Vegan Quinoa Minestrone Soup
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 medium potatoes
- 8 oz. green beans (or frozen)
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can kidney beans
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup white quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- Salt to taste
- Dice onion, carrots, potatoes. Cut green beans in 1-inch pieces. Mince garlic.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion 6-7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Add potatoes, carrots, green beans, basil, and oregano to the pot. Sauté 2 minutes.
- Add garlic. Sauté 1 minute.
- Add broth and tomatoes. Increase heat to bring to a light boil.
- Meanwhile, rinse and drain quinoa and kidney beans.
- Once lightly boiling, add quinoa and beans.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 25 minutes (or until quinoa and potatoes are cooked through). Salt to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying this quinoa minestrone? Also feel free to check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this recipe! I love seeing your creations. (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!)