Easy, veggie-packed fried rice with an assortment of beautiful rainbow colors. An easy vegan weeknight meal – just add some edamame or tofu on the side!
Veggie rainbows are my favorite. It’s a great way to make meals fun and festive and it’s always an instant mood lifter when I’m chopping and cooking with so many pretty colors. Of course feel free to swap in your own favorite vegetables or additions. (I’m partial to mushrooms and extra garlic.) Plus, for an easy protein boost try adding tofu, beans, edamame, cashews, bean sprouts, or hemp hearts. Or get your protein on the side – we love pairing this with Asian Garlic Tofu, Teriyaki Baked Tofu, or Easy Baked Savory Tofu.
Tips for better fried rice:
- Use cold rice!
If you cook the rice ahead of time, it’s not only an awesome time-saver, but it makes the fried rice much less soggy. Just make the rice in advance and cool it in the fridge for at least a couple hours or overnight.
- Use minimal oil/liquids while cooking.
I enjoy the taste of sesame oil so I’m always tempted to pour more, but for fried rice less is better! I find 1 teaspoon is plenty to get all my veggies cooking while not weighing it down and turning it to mush. Same goes for the tamari/soy sauce. Use just a little while cooking, and add more to taste right before serving.
- Fry the rice.
Make sure you take some time to fry the rice at the end for that beautiful light golden brown color. This also gives a chance for all the flavors to combine!
Rainbow Veggie Fried Rice
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice (uncooked)
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 1/2 cups peas (I use frozen)
- 1 cup corn (I use frozen)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- Prep: cook the rice ahead of time according to package instructions. When cool, transfer to a sealed container in the fridge to chill for a couple hours/overnight.
- Dice carrots, bell pepper, onion, and mince garlic.
- In a large wok or pan over med-high heat, add 1 tsp. sesame oil. Let heat for a minute.
- When oil is hot, carefully add onion, carrots, and bell pepper. Stirring often, saute for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add peas and corn. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add rice and 3 Tbsp. tamari. Stirring occasionally, cook for about 5 minutes.
- Serve with additional tamari if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
More Asian-Style favorites:
Broccoli with Asian Garlic Sauce
Vegetable Lo Mein
Asian Garlic Green Beans
Quinoa Veggie Stir-Fry
Asian Toasted Quinoa with Mushrooms
Hoisin Roasted Green Beans
Asparagus and Mushroom Stir-Fry