Important note: it was kindly brought to my attention that General Mill’s Chex cereals in the U.S. contain D3 which is typically derived from lanolin (sheep’s wool) therefore it’s not 100% vegan. Be sure to look for an alternative, vegan-friendly chex-like cereal for this recipe!
Savory Vegan Chex Mix
- 3 cups corn chex
- 3 cups rice chex
- 1 1/2 cup pretzels (gf if desired)
- 1 1/2 cup mixed nuts
- 6 Tbsp. vegan buttery spread (I use Earth Balance)
- 1 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more/less to taste)
- Preheat oven to 250.
- In a very large mixing bowl, add chex, pretzels, and nuts.
- Melt the butter in a microwave-safe bowl. When melted, add tamari, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. Stir. (Feel free to test the salt level by dipping one of the chex.)
- Immediately after stirring the butter mixture, pour it over the chex mix.
- Gently stir for 1-2 minutes to thoroughly combine.
- Place on a baking pan, and spread evenly.
- Bake for about 1 hour (or more if desired), stirring every 15 minutes.
- Let cool and store in an airtight container.