Have fun customizing your sandwich with your own favorite toppings. I love avocado and sprouts, but feel free to spread on the more classic vegan mayo, hummus, mustard, etc.!
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram 🍓 and share a pic if you make this! I love to seeing what you guys cook up.
Vegan TLT Sandwich (Tempeh Lettuce Tomato)
- Sliced tomato
- Romaine or spinach
- 6 slices of your favorite bread
- Toppings of choice: avocado, vegan mayo, hummus, mustard, sprouts, etc.
For the tempeh bacon
- 8 oz. tempeh (GF if desired)
- 3 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika (optional)
- Cut tempeh into small strips.*
- In a shallow dish, mix together the tamari, smoked paprika, and maple syrup. Add the tempeh strips. Flip to coat well and let sit to marinate for about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place tempeh strips in single file (drizzling any leftover tamari mixture on top for even more flavor if you’d like – though it does make it saltier!)
- Bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Prepare your sandwich: layer bread, tomatoes, lettuce, tempeh bacon, and any other toppings of choice.