I posted this recipe years ago, but I love to revisit and update as necessary. We make this dish often because it’s so simple, flavorful, and pleasantly filling. Plus lentils are an incredible source of protein, fiber, and nutrients (and so inexpensive!) I also love pulling the leftovers out of the fridge for quick snacks or as a protein-packed chip dip!
For more lentil inspiration:
50 Amazing Vegan Lentil Recipes
Lentil Spinach Burritos
- 1 cup green/brown lentils (uncooked)
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 3 oz. baby spinach (or more)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 4 large tortillas
- Salt to taste
- Optional: 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- Cook lentils: pour about 4-5 cups water and lentils in a saucepan. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain well in a colander.*
- While lentils are cooking, dice onion and mince garlic.
- In a large skillet over med-high, saute onion for 7-8 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin, and oregano. Saute for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to med-low. Add cooked lentils and tomatoes with juice. Heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in spinach and let cook 1-2 minutes to slightly wilt. Salt to taste.
- Spoon the mixture onto tortillas, and top with more fresh spinach if desired. Roll up tightly, tucking in one or both ends.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)