Easy bean and black lentil chili packed with plant-based protein and fiber! A satisfying meatless meal that's vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free.
Simple, healthy vegan chili loaded with beans and black lentils! This meal is packed with protein and fiber - an awesome combination that helps keep us feeling full and energized.
I love how black lentils hold their shape well while cooking (unlike other lentil varieties that can become a bit mushy). Their dense texture adds such a hearty feel to this dish and makes it a great meat replacement. They're not as common as other lentils so if you can't find them, no worries, simply replace with green/brown lentils.
This black lentil chili is great served as is, over baked potatoes, or mixed with brown rice or quinoa. I usually make a batch of rice or quinoa for the week to keep in the fridge and love stirring it into chili and soups.
More vegan chili inspiration:
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- Hearty Vegan Chili (30 Minute)
- Smoky Chipotle Black Bean Quinoa Chili
- Summer Vegetable Chili
Beluga Lentil Chili
- 1 onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 15 oz. can kidney beans
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 cup black beluga lentils (uncooked)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- Avocado, green onion, cilantro, hot sauce, tortilla strips, dairy-free cheese or sour cream, etc.
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for about 8-10 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic.
- When onion is translucent, add chili powder, cumin, and garlic. Stir and sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, diced tomatoes with juice, and tomato sauce.
- Rinse and drain both beans and lentils. Add to pot.
- Increase heat and bring to a light boil. Then reduce heat to med-low, cover, and simmer for about 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Salt to taste and serve with any desired toppings.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying this Black Lentil Chili? Feel free to also check out the full "Vegan Soup" recipe archives on the site for more cozy plant based inspiration!
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations.