Easy bean and black lentil chili packed with tons of plant-based protein and fiber! A satisfying meatless meal that’s vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free.
Simple, healthy vegan chili loaded with beans and black lentils! This meal is packed with protein and fiber – an awesome combination that helps keep us both full and energized. Not only are these tiny black beluga lentils adorable, but I love how they hold their shape while cooking (unlike other lentil varieties that can become a bit mushy). Their dense texture adds such a hearty feel to this dish and makes it a great “meat” replacement. They’re not as common as other lentils so if you can’t find them, no worries, simply replace with green/brown lentils!
This chili is great served as is, over baked potatoes, or mixed with brown rice or quinoa. I usually make a batch of rice or quinoa for the week to keep in the fridge and love stirring them in chili and soups. And I know avocado on toast has been all the rage lately (I get it, I love it too)… but avocado on chili? Be still my heart. So, so good.
If you’re looking for even more tasty, plant-based chili inspiration:
Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
Hearty Vegan Chili (30 Minute)
Smoky Chipotle Black Bean Quinoa Chili
Summer Vegetable Chili
Beluga Lentil Chili
- 1 onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 15 oz. can kidney beans
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 cup black beluga lentils (uncooked)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- Salt to taste
- Avocado, green onion, cilantro, hot sauce, tortilla strips, dairy-free cheese or sour cream, etc.
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, saute onion for about 8-10 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil saute method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic.
- When onion is translucent, add chili powder, cumin, and garlic. Stir and saute 1-2 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, diced tomatoes with juice, and tomato sauce.
- Rinse and drain both beans and lentils. Add to pot.
- Increase heat and bring to a light boil. Then reduce heat to med-low, cover, and simmer for about 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Salt to taste and serve with any desired toppings.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this Black Lentil Chili? Feel free to also check out the full “Vegan Soup” recipe archives on the site for more cozy plant based inspiration!
And come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations.