This cozy Vegan Roasted Butternut Squash Soup is a warm, soul-soothing, autumn meal. It’s creamy and buttery (without the butter and cream!) and only 6 simple, plant-based ingredients. Make it your own with the toppings you love. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
Autumn’s harvest brings such cozy new flavors to the kitchen. Butternut squash is a classic fall staple. So I wanted to highlight it with this beautifully simple meal. It’s only 6 plant-based ingredients yet creamy, buttery, and full of warm flavor. Toppings are totally optional (but recommended for additional flavor and crunch!) I also love maple syrup swirled on top and these easy maple-vanilla candied walnuts. Diced apple, pumpkin seeds, and cinnamon are also fantastic and bring even more cozy autumn goodness to the bowl.
I like roasting the squash halves for two reasons: the flavor it brings out is amazing, and this way you don’t have to mess with cutting raw squash into cubes which can be a little tricky and time-consuming. (Note: you’ll actually roast the squash face down – this photo is just admiring the inner golden beauty.) 😉 If you’re in the mood for more butternut deliciousness, try this Butternut Squash Kale Salad as well! Hope you enjoy and wishing you a happy autumn.
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is always greatly appreciated. Thank you!)
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 butternut squash (3 to 3 1/2 lbs.)
- 1 small onion (or shallot)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 15 oz. can coconut milk (light, unsweetened)
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg (more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. salt (more to taste)
Serving suggestions (optional):
- Swirl of maple syrup, maple-vanilla candied walnuts, pumpkin seeds, diced green apple, cinnamon
ROAST THE SQUASH:
- Preheat oven to 400. Carefully halve the butternut squash vertically and remove seeds.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place squash halves face down.
- Bake for about 40-50 minutes or until fork-tender and very soft. Set aside to cool.
PREPARE THE SOUP:
- Meanwhile, in a blender* add vegetable broth, coconut milk, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Dice onion and mince garlic.
- In a small pan over med-high heat, saute onion for 7-8 minutes (I use 3 Tbsp. vegetable broth/water for no-oil saute method).
- Add minced garlic and saute another 1-2 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic to blender.
- When the squash is done baking and cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh with a spoon and place in blender.
- Blend until smooth and transfer to a large saucepan on the stove.
- Heat over medium for about 10-15 minutes to let flavors further combine.
- Serve as is or with any desired toppings.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this Butternut Squash Soup? Feel free to also check out the full “Vegan Soup” recipe archives on the site for more inspiration! (Or this cozy Vegetable Barley Soup or Coconut Curry Vegetable Soup.)