This cozy Vegan Roasted Butternut Squash Soup is a warm, soul-soothing, autumn meal. It’s creamy and buttery (without the butter and cream!) and only 6 simple, plant-based ingredients. Make it your own with the toppings you love! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
Autumn’s harvest brings such cozy new flavors to the kitchen. Butternut squash is a classic fall staple. So I wanted to highlight it with this beautifully simple meal. It’s only 6 plant-based ingredients yet creamy, buttery, and full of warm flavor. Toppings are totally optional (but recommended for additional flavor and crunch!) I also love maple syrup swirled on top and these easy maple-vanilla candied walnuts. Diced apple, pumpkin seeds, and cinnamon are also fantastic and bring even more cozy autumn goodness to the bowl.
I like roasting the squash halves for two reasons: the flavor it brings out is amazing, and this way you don’t have to mess with cutting raw squash into cubes which can be a little tricky and time-consuming. (Note: you’ll actually roast the squash face down – this photo is just admiring the inner golden beauty.) 😉 If you’re in the mood for more butternut deliciousness, try this Butternut Squash Kale Salad as well! Hope you enjoy and wishing you a happy autumn.
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make this! I love seeing your recreations. (Or leave a star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 butternut squash (3 to 3 1/2 lbs.)
- 1 small onion (or shallot)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 15 oz. can coconut milk (light, unsweetened)
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg (more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. salt (more to taste)
Serving suggestions (optional)
- Swirl of maple syrup, maple-vanilla candied walnuts, pumpkin seeds, diced green apple, cinnamon
ROAST THE SQUASH:
- Preheat oven to 400. Carefully halve the butternut squash vertically and remove seeds.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place squash halves face down.
- Bake for about 40-50 minutes or until fork-tender and very soft. Set aside to cool.
PREPARE THE SOUP:
- Meanwhile, in a blender* add vegetable broth, coconut milk, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Dice onion and mince garlic.
- In a small pan over med-high heat, saute onion for 7-8 minutes (I use 3 Tbsp. vegetable broth/water for no-oil saute method).
- Add minced garlic and saute another 1-2 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic to blender.
- When the squash is done baking and cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh with a spoon and place in blender.
- Blend until smooth and transfer to a large saucepan on the stove.
- Heat over medium for about 10-15 minutes to let flavors further combine.
- Serve as is or with any desired toppings.