Garden-fresh summer salad tossed in a deliciously creamy herb dressing! Plus super easy to customize with your own favorite vegetable combos. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
This nutrient-packed summer salad is bursting with bright colors and fresh garden flavors.
It’s an adaption of the Southwestern Chopped Salad with Cilantro-Lime Dressing that we simply adore.
Ingredients for Summer Salad
- Romaine (or mixed greens of choice)
- Orange bell pepper
- Grape tomatoes (or cherry, roma, etc.)
- Red onion (or green for milder flavor)
- Sweet corn
However this recipe is highly customizable. I encourage you to modify it based on your own favorites or what’s available in your area. (We love our local food co-op and farmer’s market for fresh produce.) Seeds, beans, and sprouts are also lovely additions.
Creamy Garden Herb Dressing
The star of the show is the creamy herb dressing. It’s oil-free, slightly tangy, and packed with so much flavor. For the dressing recipe, you’ll need:
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh basil
- Lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- White wine vinegar
Summer Chopped Salad with Creamy Herb Dressing
- 1 large head romaine (or other mixed greens of choice)
- 1 cucumber
- 1 orange bell pepper (or carrot)
- 6 oz. grape tomatoes
- 1/3 cup red onion (or green onion for milder flavor)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked sweet corn
- Optional additions: garbanzo beans, sugar snap peas, sprouts, purple cabbage, sunflower seeds, etc.
For the Creamy Garden Herb Dressing:
- 1 small avocado (or 1/2 large)
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley (thick stems removed)
- 1/3 cup fresh basil (stems removed)
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon, or more to taste)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. agave (or other sweetener)
- 1/8 tsp. salt (more to taste)
- 3 Tbsp. water to thin (more as needed to desired consistency)
MAKE THE DRESSING:
- Puree all dressing ingredients in a small food processor or blender until smooth (scraping down sides with spatula as needed.)
- Add more water if needed, a little at a time, until it reaches your desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. (More salt, lemon juice, sweetener, etc.)
PREPARE THE SALAD:
- Roughly chop romaine and place in a large bowl.
- Dice cucumber and bell pepper. Halve/quarter tomatoes. Finely dice red onion. Add to bowl.
- Add corn to bowl. Then pour desired amount of dressing over top and toss well to combine. (Alternatively, you can store salad and dressing in separate containers in the fridge until ready to serve.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying this summer salad? Also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is always very appreciated. Thank you!)