Warm & comforting Vegan Potato Lentil Stew with hearty Portobello mushrooms! Richly flavorful and packed with satisfying plant-based nutrients. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
Let's get our comfort food on! This hearty, satisfying stew is like a warm hug in a bowl. It combines chunky carrots & potatoes with lentils and tender mushrooms... all swimming in a rich, savory broth.
This recipe is similar to my Rustic Lentil & Potato Soup but I wanted to post this tasty variation as well. The lentil-mushroom-potato combination is one of my favorites; especially when the weather is chilly.
However, if you're not a fan of mushrooms, simply omit them and add extra lentils (using about 3/4 cup to 1 cup total). We love that variation as well.
This is a great meal for leftovers as I find the flavors are just as good (if not better) the next day after they've had a chance to blend and intensify. Hope you enjoy as much as we do!
Portobello Mushroom & Potato Stew with Lentils
- 1 onion
- 1 large carrot
- 3 medium gold potatoes (about 1 lb.)
- 2 large portobello mushrooms (or 8 oz. cremini/button)
- 1/2 cup green/brown lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. tamari
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- Fresh parsley for serving
- Spinach or kale, to stir in at the end
- Dice onion and carrot. Cut potato into 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch cubes. Slice portobello mushrooms.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 6-7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. broth/water for no-oil sauté method, adding more liquid as needed.)
- When onions are translucent, add garlic powder, carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms. Stir and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add 4 cups broth, tomato paste, and tamari. Rinse lentils well and add to pot.
- Increase heat to bring to a light boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 25-30 minutes or until lentils are cooked through.
- Salt/pepper to taste as needed (or add more tamari). Garnish with fresh parsley before serving if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying this vegan potato lentil stew? Also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try - your feedback is always very appreciated. Thank you!)