This festive lentil fall salad combines quinoa, kale, butternut squash and then is tossed in a delicious rosemary-infused maple-balsamic dressing! Our favorite autumn salad that’s great for seasonal eating and also holidays.
I’ve been wrangling with several variations of this fall salad over the past couple years, but am delighted to finally post my favorite version.
It’s wonderfully festive for holidays because it includes cozy, seasonal ingredients.
Ingredients for Quinoa Fall Salad
This salad is filled with fresh autumn flavors. Roasted butternut squash, hearty kale, and also a flavorful maple-balsamic dressing with fresh rosemary.
Plus I love the walnut crunch and additional sweetness from the dried cranberries.
The nutrient-packed lentil & quinoa combination is one that I also love in this Lentil Quinoa Salad. But feel free to give this a try with your own favorite whole grains (or use all quinoa if desired).
Lentil Quinoa Fall Salad with Maple Dressing
- 4-5 cups butternut squash, cubed (about a 3 lb. squash)
- 1/2 cup quinoa (or 1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 15 oz. can lentils
- 1/2 bunch kale
- 3-4 green onions
- 1/3 cup walnuts, roughly chopped (I use raw, unsalted)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
For the maple-balsamic dressing:
- 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped (more/less to taste)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper and arrange squash cubes in a single layer. (Salt/pepper if desired.) Place in oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or to desired tenderness, stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa: place 1/2 cup quinoa (rinsed and drained) in a small saucepan with 3/4 cup water or vegetable broth. Bring to a light boil over med-high heat. Then reduce heat to med-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Make the dressing: in a small bowl, combine all dressing ingredients and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Thinly chop kale, large stems removed. Place in a large mixing bowl and gently massage to tenderize.
- Slice green onions and roughly chop walnuts. Add to bowl with kale.
- Add lentils (rinsed and drained), cranberries, cooked quinoa, and roasted squash to bowl.
- Pour dressing over top and gently toss to thoroughly combine. Add more cranberries or walnuts if desired.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for later. (Great served warm, room temperature, or chilled.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you’re enjoying this lentil quinoa fall salad, also feel free to check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this recipe! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!)