Satisfying & protein-packed vegan goulash combines pasta, spices, hearty lentils, and mushrooms in a rich tomato sauce. An easy, comforting dinner that’s also done in only 30 minutes!
Classic American Goulash is typically made with macaroni pasta, beef, and then combined with a tomato sauce. But this recipe gets a healthier, vegan twist by replacing the beef with nutrient-packed lentils and tender mushrooms.
Plus it’s protein-packed, super satisfying, and only 30 minutes to assemble which makes it a great weeknight meal.
Ingredients for Vegan Goulash
- Elbow pasta
- Green bell pepper
- Mushrooms (I use cremini)
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Canned tomato sauce
- Tamari (for rich, salty flavor)
- Smoked paprika, dried basil, and dried oregano
This recipe is versatile, so change it up how you see fit.
Try different spices, more tomato, or also omit the mushrooms for zucchini or more lentils.
Vegan Lentil Goulash (American Style)
- 8 oz. elbow noodles (gluten-free if desired)
- 1 small onion (or 1/2 large)
- 1 bell pepper (I use green)
- 6 oz. mushrooms (I use cremini)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (I use petite diced)
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 15 oz. can brown lentils
- 1-2 Tbsp. tamari (I like 2)
- 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, leaving al dente (slightly firm, not mushy). Drain when finished.
- Meanwhile, finely dice onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Mince garlic.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 4-5 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Add bell pepper and mushroom to pan. Stir and sauté 7-8 minutes or until veggies are softened.
- Add garlic, smoked paprika, basil, and oregano. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, lentils (rinsed and drained), and tamari. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add pasta (cooked & drained) to pan. Stir well to combine. Serve warm.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you’re enjoying this vegan goulash, also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make this recipe! (Also please leave a review/star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is always very appreciated, thank you!)