Satisfying & protein-packed vegan goulash combines pasta, spices, hearty lentils, and mushrooms in a rich tomato sauce. An easy, comforting dinner that’s also done in only 30 minutes! (Vegan, oil-free, gluten-free option.)
Classic American Goulash is typically made with macaroni pasta, beef, and then combined with a tomato sauce. But this recipe gets a healthier, vegan twist by replacing the beef with nutrient-packed lentils and tender mushrooms. I love the cozy and comforting results! Plus it’s protein-packed, super satisfying, and only 30 minutes to assemble which makes it a great (and also easy) weeknight meal.
Ingredients for Vegan Goulash
To make this American-style Lentil Goulash, you’ll need:
- 8 oz. elbow pasta
- Onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, and garlic
- 15 oz. can lentils (or 1.5 cups cooked brown lentils)
- Can of diced tomatoes
- Can of tomato sauce
- Tamari (for rich, salty flavor)
- Smoked paprika, dried basil, and dried oregano
This recipe is wonderfully versatile, so feel free to change it up how you see fit. (Try different spices, more tomato, omitting the mushrooms for possibly zucchini or more lentils, etc.)
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram then share a photo if you make this! (Also please leave a review/star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is always very appreciated, thank you!)
Vegan Lentil Goulash (American Style)
- 8 oz. elbow noodles (gluten-free if desired)
- 1 small onion (or 1/2 large)
- 1 bell pepper (I use green)
- 6 oz. mushrooms (I use cremini)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (I use petite diced)
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 15 oz. can brown lentils
- 1-2 Tbsp. tamari (I like 2)
- 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, leaving al dente (slightly firm, not mushy). Drain when finished.
- Meanwhile, finely dice onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Mince garlic.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 4-5 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Add bell pepper and mushroom to pan. Stir and sauté 7-8 minutes or until veggies are softened.
- Add garlic, smoked paprika, basil, and oregano. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, lentils (rinsed and drained), and tamari. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add pasta (cooked & drained) to pan. Stir well to combine. Serve warm.