These delicious vegan BBQ tempeh wraps with spinach are quick and easy to assemble! A satisfying, protein-packed lunch or dinner.
These vegan BBQ tempeh and spinach wraps are so flavorful and satisfying. (Plus I find the leftovers are great too!)
Tempeh, which is made from fermented soybeans, is a great source of protein, fiber, and many other nutrients.
It is also fairly inexpensive and simple to prepare. So it makes a great choice for easy weeknight meals.
Ingredients for BBQ Tempeh Wrap
For this recipe you will need:
- Tempeh: Some store-bought tempeh patties includes various grains so be sure to find gluten-free if desired.
- BBQ sauce: Use one you enjoy because it is a lot of the flavor in this dish.
- Yellow onion
- Bell pepper
- Garlic cloves
- Fresh baby spinach
- Roma tomatoes: Or other tomato.
- Nutritional yeast: Or simply your favorite vegan cheese shreds if desired.
- Wraps or tortillas of choice: Use gluten-free if desired. I try to find whole grain when possible.
Black bean are also a great addition to this dish.
BBQ Tempeh Wraps with Spinach
- 8 oz. tempeh (gluten-free if desired)
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 small bell pepper (any color)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1-2 cups fresh baby spinach (or romaine, etc.)
- 1-2 roma tomatoes
- Nutritional yeast for sprinkling (or vegan cheese shreds)
- 3 wraps/tortillas of choice (gluten-free if desired)
- Crumble tempeh and place in a bowl with BBQ sauce. Stir well and set aside to marinate.
- Finely dice onion and bell pepper. Mince garlic.
- In a pan over medium-high heat, sauté onion and bell pepper for about 6-7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Add minced garlic. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the BBQ tempeh mixture. Stir well and cook 5 minutes until heated through.
- Assemble wraps: place BBQ tempeh mixture down the center of tortilla. Sprinkle nutritional yeast (or cheese) on top, then add spinach, sliced/chopped tomato, or any other toppings. Roll up with one end tucked in.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
For more tempeh recipe inspiration, also check out:
- Vegan TLT Sandwich (Tempeh Lettuce Tomato)
- BBQ Tempeh Sloppy Joes
- Teriyaki Vegetable Stir Fry with Tempeh
- Tempeh Mushroom Pasta
- Black Bean Tempeh Tacos