This Chickpea Avocado Mash recipe only takes 5 minutes to prepare, with no cooking required! It's easy to make, healthy, and satisfying. Plus it's great as a sandwich spread, cracker dip, or dolloped on salads. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This Chickpea Avocado Mash sandwich spread is so healthy and satisfying.
And best of all it comes together in just 5 minutes!
My daughter and I have been making it for years. It's such a great lunch or after-school snack.
Plus there is no need to turn on the oven or stove which makes it a nice option in the summertime.
Ingredients for Chickpea Mash
This recipe keeps it simple. You will only need a few ingredients:
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans): These are a good source of plant-based protein, fiber, folate, iron, and many other dietary minerals and nutrients.
- Ripe avocado: You will need one large avocado for this recipe. Avocados have a smooth, buttery texture which is perfect in this simple mash.
- Fresh lemon juice: You will need about two tablespoons lemon juice, which is about a half lemon.
- Salt: I use fine grain salt. Simply add to taste if desired. You can also include black pepper.
Hummus: Add 1-2 tablespoons hummus to make this even creamier and help bind it further.
Fresh herbs: Stir in chopped fresh dill, parsley, cilantro, or basil for extra flavor and freshness.
Garlic: Add a couple shakes of dried garlic powder if you like the taste.
For a different flavor profile, try this delicious Curried Chickpea Salad as well!
- Dip: Scoop it up with crackers, pita chips, veggies, or tortilla chips. This is a great option for snacks and appetizers.
- Sandwich: Spread it on a sandwich with lightly toasted whole grain bread, sliced tomato, red onion, and leafy greens or sprouts.
- Wraps: Try it wither either a lettuce wrap or tortilla wrap. Then add your favorite toppings before wrapping.
- Flatbread + pita bread: Spread on flatbread for an open-faced sandwich, or stuff it inside pita bread with your favorite toppings.
- Salads: Add a dollop or two on top of your fresh salads for added oomph.
Store in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Stir before serving. You can also add another fresh squeeze of lemon juice to brighten it up.
Note: I haven't tried freezing this recipe, so am unsure how it would hold up. Thankfully it only takes 5 minutes to make, so I feel it's best enjoyed fresh!
For more inspiration, also browse all chickpea recipes.
Chickpea Avocado Mash with Lemon
- 15 oz. can chickpeas (or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (or more to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 Tbsp. hummus, a couple shakes of garlic powder, fresh herbs, etc.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas and place in a medium bowl. Mash with a potato masher. (Mash thoroughly for a smoother consistency, or not as much for chunky texture. I prefer a chunkier texture.)
- Cut avocado in half and remove pit and peel. Place avocado flesh in bowl. Add lemon juice, salt/pepper, and any other desired additions.
- Lightly mash again to combine. Serve immediately or refrigerate covered for 2-3 days. (Though it's best when fresh!)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this vegan Chickpea Avocado Mash recipe for dips and sandwich, also check out:
- Avocado Veggie Sandwich
- Vegan BLT with Tempeh Bacon
- BBQ Ranch Tempeh Wrap
- White Bean Tomato Salad (10 Minute)