Easy vegan Double Decker Chickpea Tacos! Take your taco night to a whole new level with these satisfying roasted chickpea tacos that are family-friendly.
These vegan chickpea tacos are so fun, tasty, and satisfying. "Double decker" tacos originated at the Taco Bell fast food restaurant many years ago.
The idea is to wrap a soft shell tortilla around a hard shell taco, using refried beans between the two to help hold it together. (Pretty awesome.)
But here we give it a healthier, vegan twist.
It is a great family-friendly meal since everyone can load them up with their own favorite taco toppings.
Ingredients for Double Decker Tacos
For this recipe you will need:
- Refried beans: Traditional refried beans are typically made with lard, so be sure to find vegetarian/vegan-style.
- Chickpeas: Or you can use these tasty Chickpea-Walnut Taco Crumbles for the filling instead.
- Taco seasoning mix
- Fresh lime juice
- Soft taco tortillas: Or corn tortillas.
- Hard taco shells
- Toppings of choice
This recipe makes about 6-8 tacos, depending on how much you stuff them.
I also enjoy topping them with this Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa.
For more inspiration, browse all chickpea recipes.
Vegan Double Decker Chickpea Tacos
- 15 oz. can refried beans (vegetarian-style*)
- 15 oz. can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 3 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1-2 Tbsp. lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 8 soft taco tortillas (or corn tortillas)
- 8 hard taco shells
Toppings of choice:
- Lettuce, tomato, onion, salsa, guacamole, vegan cheese, etc.
- In a small bowl combine chickpeas, taco seasoning, lime juice, and 2 Tbsp. water. Stir to combine and let marinate at least a half hour, or throughout the day in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). On a baking pan, spread chickpeas in a single layer. Bake for about 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan over medium-low heat, add refried beans. Stir occasionally until heated through. (Oftentimes I add cumin and smoked paprika to flavor it even more.)
- After the chickpeas are baked, feel free to warm the hard taco shells in the oven for a few minutes if you wish.
- Assemble tacos: spread a layer of refried beans on the soft tortillas. Wrap them around the hard taco shells, using the refried beans as a "glue" to hold them together. Fill with chickpeas and desired toppings.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying these Vegan Double Decker Chickpea Tacos, also browse more bean recipes or check out: