An easy vegan Double Decker Chickpea Tacos recipe! Take your taco night to a whole new level with these satisfying roasted chickpea tacos that are family-friendly.
Th vegan double decker tacos recipe is so fun, tasty, and satisfying.
"Double decker" tacos originated at the Taco Bell fast food restaurant many years ago.
The idea is to wrap a soft shell tortilla around a hard shell taco, using refried beans between the two to help hold it together. (Pretty awesome.)
But here we give it a healthier, plant-based vegan twist!
Ingredients for Double Decker Tacos
For this recipe you will need:
- Refried beans: Traditional refried beans are typically made with lard, so be sure to find vegetarian/vegan-style. Most often I either use the Cadia brand or Amy's brand. We will simply warm these up for a few minutes in a pan over medium heat on the stove.
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans): We will marinate and then roast the chickpeas on a sheet pan in the oven. Either follow the directions below for these taco-spiced roasted chickpeas, or use these tasty Chickpea-Walnut Taco Crumbles for the filling instead. Both are great!
- Taco seasoning: I use my homemade Taco Seasoning mix. It's a tasty, warm blend of spices like chili powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
- Fresh lime juice: You will need about one lime for this recipe.
- Soft taco tortillas: I try to find whole grain flour tortillas when possible. Or you can substitute corn tortillas for a gluten-free soft tortilla option.
- Hard taco shells: These crisp taco shells give the inside portion a nice, satisfying crunch.
- Toppings of choice: Use your own favorites, or see below for a few ideas of what to sprinkle on this taco recipe.
Note: This recipe makes about 6 to 8 tacos, depending on how much you stuff them.
Spices and flavors: Change it up with your own favorite seasonings. Instead of the taco seasoning, you can toss and roast your chickpeas in chili powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, dried oregano, etc.
Make it spicy: Add chipotle in adobo sauce, jalapeños, cayenne pepper, or extra chili powder. Or simply top with hot sauce to taste.
Make it meaty: Instead of the chickpea filling, use your own favorite vegan ground beef crumbles or other plant-based meat mixture. Cook these according to package instructions in a skillet on the stovetop, and stir in about two to three tablespoons of taco seasoning to help flavor it.
Fajita-style: Try these with fajita veggies as well. Simply roast or sauté bell peppers and onions until tender. (Feel free to toss them in seasonings before they cook for more flavor.)
This is a great family-friendly dinner for kids because everyone can personalize theirs with their own favorite taco toppings. A few ideas include:
- Romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, or other greens
- Fresh tomatoes and cilantro
- Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa
- Pico de Gallo (Salsa Fresca)
- Avocado or guacamole
- Vegan shredded cheese or dairy-free cheddar cheese sauce
- Vegan sour cream
- Finely diced onion
Vegan Double Decker Chickpea Tacos
- 15 oz. can refried beans (vegetarian-style*)
- 15 oz. can chickpeas
- 3 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1-2 Tbsp. lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 8 soft taco tortillas (or corn tortillas)
- 8 hard taco shells
Toppings of choice:
- Lettuce, tomato, onion, salsa, guacamole, vegan cheese, etc.
- Prepare chickpeas: In a small bowl combine chickpeas (rinsed and drained), taco seasoning, lime juice, and 2 Tbsp. water. Stir to combine and let marinate at least a half hour, or throughout the day in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Then spread chickpeas in a single layer on pan. Bake for about 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan over medium-low heat, add refried beans. Stir occasionally until heated through, about 5 minutes. (Oftentimes I add 1 tsp. ground cumin and 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika to flavor it even more.)
- After the chickpeas are roasted, warm the hard taco shells in the oven for a few minutes if desired.
- Assemble tacos: Spread a layer of refried beans on the soft tortillas. Wrap them around the hard taco shells, using the refried beans as a "glue" to hold them together. Then fill with roasted chickpeas and desired toppings.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan Double Decker Chickpea Tacos recipe, also check out: