Easy vegan Double Decker Chickpea Tacos! Take your taco night to a whole new level with these satisfying roasted chickpea tacos that are family-friendly.
These vegan double decker tacos are so fun, tasty, and satisfying. "Double decker" tacos originated at the Taco Bell fast food restaurant many years ago.
The idea is to wrap a soft shell tortilla around a hard shell taco, using refried beans between the two to help hold it together. (Pretty awesome.)
But here we give it a healthier, vegan twist.
It is a great family-friendly meal since everyone can load them up with their own favorite taco toppings.
Ingredients for Double Decker Tacos
For this recipe you will need:
- Refried beans: Traditional refried beans are typically made with lard, so be sure to find vegetarian/vegan-style.
- Chickpeas: Or you can use these tasty Chickpea-Walnut Taco Crumbles for the filling instead.
- Taco seasoning mix
- Fresh lime juice
- Soft taco tortillas: Or corn tortillas.
- Hard taco shells
- Toppings of choice
This recipe makes about 6-8 tacos, depending on how much you stuff them.
I also enjoy topping them with this Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa.
For more inspiration, browse all chickpea recipes.
Vegan Double Decker Chickpea Tacos
- 15 oz. can refried beans (vegetarian-style*)
- 15 oz. can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 3 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1-2 Tbsp. lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 8 soft taco tortillas (or corn tortillas)
- 8 hard taco shells
Toppings of choice:
- Lettuce, tomato, onion, salsa, guacamole, vegan cheese, etc.
- In a small bowl combine chickpeas, taco seasoning, lime juice, and 2 Tbsp. water. Stir to combine and let marinate at least a half hour, or throughout the day in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). On a baking pan, spread chickpeas in a single layer. Bake for about 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan over medium-low heat, add refried beans. Stir occasionally until heated through. (Oftentimes I add cumin and smoked paprika to flavor it even more.)
- After the chickpeas are baked, feel free to warm the hard taco shells in the oven for a few minutes if you wish.
- Assemble tacos: spread a layer of refried beans on the soft tortillas. Wrap them around the hard taco shells, using the refried beans as a "glue" to hold them together. Fill with chickpeas and desired toppings.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying these Vegan Double Decker Tacos, also browse more bean recipes or check out: