Our family's favorite homemade oil-free pizza sauce! Easy to assemble and also super flavorful with garlic, herbs, and a little tang. (Vegan + gluten-free.)
This is our favorite homemade oil-free pizza sauce. It has been our go-to family recipe for years.
The sauce is deliciously dense and flavor-packed with fresh garlic, herbs, and a hint of tanginess.
Plus it is so quick + easy to assemble!
I prefer my pizza sauce on the thicker side, so simply add a little extra water or broth to thin it out if desired.
Ingredients for Oil-Free Pizza Sauce
For this recipe, you will stir together in a small bowl:
- Tomato paste: You will need a 6 ounce can for this recipe. I try to find organic when possible.
- Garlic cloves: Use anywhere from 1 to 3 cloves for this recipe depending on how much you like garlic.
- Red wine vinegar
- Dried basil
- Dried oregano: Or you can substitute the basil + oregano for other herbs or dried Italian seasonings if desired.
- Ground cumin: You can omit this if desired, but I like just a tiny bit for a hint of warmth and earthy flavor.
Make-ahead: The flavors beautifully intensify as this sauce sits and chills in the refrigerator. So it is great made 1-2 days in advance if desired. Just cover and store in the fridge until you are ready to use.
This oil-free pizza sauce is great on a variety of homemade pizzas, pita pizzas, or this 30 minute Vegan French Bread Pizza for a quick and easy weeknight meal.
Homemade Pizza Sauce (Oil-Free)
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1-3 cloves garlic (depending on how much you like garlic)
- 2-3 Tbsp. water (more to thin if desired)
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. dried basil
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- Finely mince garlic.
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl and stir well to combine.
- Can use immediately, but the flavor is best if you let it sit for about 30 minutes. (Or make ahead of time and refrigerate until ready.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this homemade oil-free pizza sauce recipe, also feel free to also check out: