Easy homemade Asian-inspired Teriyaki Sauce recipe with garlic & ginger! Sticky, sweet, savory, and ready in just 10-15 minutes. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This is one of my favorite sauces and it also only takes 10-15 minutes to prepare.
This is not an authentic Teriyaki sauce, but merely my own adaption. It's sticky, sweet, savory, and also easy to make.
Ingredients for Teriyaki Sauce
For this recipe you will need:
- Tamari: Or soy sauce. Use tamari for a gluten-free.
- Pure maple syrup: Or brown sugar.
- Vegetable broth
- Rice vinegar: I use unseasoned. (Seasoned rice vinegar contains added sugar and salt.)
- Cornstarch: Or other thickener of choice.
Teriyaki is a great all-purpose Asian-style sauce because it can be used for marinating, stir-fry, noodles, rice bowls, etc.
If using it for stir-fry, first mix sauce ingredients together in a bowl. Then add to the wok or skillet towards the end of your stir-frying. It will gradually thicken with the other ingredients.
Ways to Use This Sauce
Here are a few of my favorite recipes that use teriyaki sauce:
- Teriyaki Vegetable Stir Fry (Oil-Free) (pictured above)
- Teriyaki Noodles with Vegetables
- Easy Teriyaki Baked Tofu (pictured below)
- 1/4 cup tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar (or 3 Tbsp. maple syrup)
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 tsp. rice vinegar
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tsp. ginger, freshly grated (I peel my ginger)
- 1 Tbsp. corn starch (or arrowroot or other thickener)
- Optional: sesame seeds
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk well to combine.
- Add to a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Heat until lightly simmering, whisking frequently until thickened, about 5-10 minutes.
- Use immediately, or cool and store in a sealed container in the fridge for about 1 week.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you're enjoying this teriyaki sauce recipe, also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make this! (Also please leave a review and star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is always greatly appreciated - thank you!)