This immensely flavorful (oil-free!) balsamic vinaigrette dressing with fresh basil and garlic pairs great with a wide variety of salads. It is especially wonderful in the summertime with fresh garden basil. (Vegan, gluten-free.)
This tangy Garlic-Basil Balsamic Dressing is a great way to incorporate fresh basil in the summertime when the herb is at peak harvest.
Garlic and balsamic paired together is delightful, but fragrant fresh basil takes it to a whole other level.
This basil vinaigrette provides big flavor on fresh salads, and is made with simple ingredients.
Ingredients for Basil Balsamic Vinaigrette
For this salad dressing recipe you will whisk together in a small bowl or jar:
- Balsamic vinegar
- Garlic clove
- Fresh basil
- Dijon mustard: This adds great flavor and a more complex taste to the dressing.
- Pure maple syrup: This helps balance the flavors with a little natural sweetness.
- Nutritional yeast: This adds a slightly savory taste to the dressing.
- Salt: I use fine-grain salt for this recipe. You can also include black pepper if desired.
Olive oil: Feel free to blend in a tablespoon or two of good quality extra-virgin olive oil if you wish to create a thick dressing.
Sweetness: For a sweeter dressing, add additional maple syrup to taste.
Pour this bold dressing over veggies or green salad. It's great either on a side salad or large dinner salad. I like preparing a salad with mixed greens, vegetables, berries, a protein like chickpeas (or roasted chickpeas), plus crumbled vegan feta cheese sometimes.
Store leftovers in a sealed glass container or jar in the refrigerator. We find it keeps well for about 4 days.
Yield: This recipe makes about 1/3 cup dressing so increase as desired.
Garlic-Basil Balsamic Dressing
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tbsp. fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2-3 tsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp. water
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Mince garlic and finely chop basil.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. (Or add to a small jar, then seal and shake well to combine.)
- Adjust flavors if desired. Store in a sealed container or jar in the refrigerator for about 4 days.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this oil free basil balsamic vinaigrette dressing, also check out:
- Carrot Ginger Miso Dressing
- Strawberry-Balsamic Dressing
- Thai Peanut Dressing
- Creamy Cilantro-Lime Dressing
- Marinated Kale Salad
- Southwestern Chopped Salad