Fresh, crisp green beans are combined with flavorful shallots and tomatoes! This is a simple and delicious side dish, especially in summer with seasonal produce. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This easy side dish is fantastic when summer vegetables are in season.
The fresh green beans pair great with the warm tomato shallot dressing.
It has a nice zing from the red wine vinegar, and slight sweetness from the fresh, juicy tomatoes.
Plus the leftovers are great too. (I even eat them cold!)
For this recipe you will combine in a large skillet or pan on the stove:
- Fresh green beans: You will need about one pound for this recipe. I have not tested it with frozen green beans, but that could probably work too. (Although they will not be nearly as crisp and tender.)
- Shallots: These taste like a cross between garlic and onion. But if you can't find shallots, simply substitute with some sweet onion slices (or red onion, white onion, green onion, etc.) You can also include fresh garlic cloves if desired.
- Roma tomatoes: You will need about two medium roma tomatoes. However you can change it up with other varieties like heirloom, beefsteak, or tomatoes on the vine. Or try grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes for a bolder, sweeter flavor.
- Red wine vinegar: Or substitute white wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar for different flavors.
- Salt: I use fine grain salt for this recipe. Use as much or as little to your taste. You can also stir in black pepper if desired.
Fresh herbs & flavors: Change it up with your own favorite flavors. Right before serving, feel free to top your bowl with fresh basil, parsley, or oregano for added freshness.
Garnish: You can also top this dish with dairy-free crumbled feta cheese, Vegan Parmesan Cheese, pine nuts, or slivered almonds before serving.
Like it spicy? Sprinkle on red pepper flakes to taste.
For more inspiration, also browse all side dish recipes.
Green Beans with Shallots and Tomatoes
- 1 lb. fresh green beans
- 2 medium shallots (about 1/2 cup sliced)
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar (or white)
- Salt to taste
- Trim ends off green beans. Dice tomatoes and slice shallots.
- Steam the green beans for about 4-5 minutes, until just tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, saute shallots with a little salt for 4-5 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/veggie broth for no-oil saute method, adding more as needed.)
- Add diced tomatoes and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add red wine vinegar and heat for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat, add steamed green beans, and mix well to combine the dressing with the beans.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying these green beans with shallots and tomatoes, also feel free to check out:
- Sautéed Portobello with Spinach
- Asparagus Mushroom Stir Fry
- Southwestern Black Bean Salad with Citrus Dressing