Fresh, crisp green beans with flavorful shallots and tomato! A simple and delicious side, especially in summer with seasonal produce. (Vegan, gluten-free.)
As much as I love eating green beans plain, it is nice to jazz them up sometimes too.
They pair great with this simple warm tomato shallot dressing.
It has a nice zing from the red wine vinegar, and sweetness from the fresh, juicy tomatoes.
The leftovers are great too - I even eat them cold.
It is such a beautiful side dish to enjoy in the summer time with tasty, fresh garden produce.
I love checking out our local food co-op, farm stands, and farmers markets during the summer months. The seasonal produce is so fresh.
Hope you enjoy this simple side dish as much as we do. Now that fresh green beans are back in season what is your favorite way to eat them?
For more inspiration, also browse all side dish recipes.
Green Beans with Shallots & Tomato
- 1 lb. green beans
- 2 medium shallots (about 1/2 cup sliced)
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar (or white)
- Salt to taste
- Trim ends off green beans. Dice tomatoes and slice shallots.
- Steam the green beans for about 4-5 minutes, until just tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, saute shallots with a little salt for 4-5 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/veggie broth for no-oil saute method, adding more as needed.)
- Add diced tomatoes and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add red wine vinegar and heat for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat, add steamed green beans, and mix well to combine the dressing with the beans.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying these green beans with shallots and tomato, also feel free to check out:
- Sautéed Portobello with Spinach
- Asparagus Mushroom Stir Fry
- Southwestern Black Bean Salad with Citrus Dressing