This easy, vegan Healthy Texas Cowboy Caviar is great made ahead for picnics, potlucks, parties, or simply snacking at home. Plus it is gluten-free and oil-free.
This healthier Texas Caviar is a great make-ahead dish with lots of plant protein and fiber.
Traditional cowboy caviar is usually made with a decent amount of oil and sugar.
But I omit both in this version for a lighter, healthier option.
Instead we we use a flavorful dressing of vinegar, fresh lemon, and garlic.
Ingredients for Texas Caviar
For recipe you will need 9 simple ingredients:
- Black eyed peas
- Black beans
- Sweet corn: Either cooked fresh, frozen, canned, fire-roasted, etc.
- Bell pepper: I use 1/2 green bell pepper + 1/2 red bell pepper for more color, but feel free to use one whole bell pepper of any color.
- Red onion
- Red wine vinegar: Or substitute apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar.
- Lemon juice
- Garlic cloves
- Dried oregano
We especially enjoy ours served with chips for dipping. But you can also eat it as a bean salad or side dish.
It is a great choice when feeding crowds because it is accommodating to most dietary lifestyles. It is naturally:
- Refined sugar-free
Store covered in the refrigerator. We find it keeps well for about 4-5 days.
This is great made ahead of time because the flavors will only intensify as it chills.
I also enjoy keeping a batch handy in the fridge to pull out for quick snacks.
Healthy Texas Caviar
- 30 oz. canned black eyed peas (two 15 oz. cans)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 cup sweet corn, cooked (either canned, cooked fresh, or thawed frozen corn)
- 1 bell pepper (I use 1/2 green, 1/2 red)
- 1/2 small red onion
- Optional additions: tomato, green onion, fresh parsley/cilantro, avocado, jalapeno, etc.
For the lemon-vinegar dressing:
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar* (or less)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon, or more to taste)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Make the dressing: in small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients.
- Rinse and drain beans. Dice bell pepper and finely dice onion.
- In a large bowl, add beans, bell pepper, onion, and corn. Add dressing and toss well to combine. Add more salt or lemon juice if desired.
- Can serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for at least two hours. (It tastes best after flavors blend.) Re-stir before serving as some dressing will settle on the bottom.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan Healthy Texas Caviar (Cowboy Caviar), also check out: