A fresh and healthy Kale Greek-style Salad recipe with marinated chickpeas! It's flavorful, nourishing, and great for meal prep or prepared lunches. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This healthy Greek Kale Salad is filled with crisp veggies and plant-based nourishment.
It feels so hearty and holds up well in the fridge for leftovers.
So it's a great choice for meal prep and make-ahead lunches.
The chickpeas add a great source of protein and fiber. (Or you could even sprinkle hemp hearts, sunflower seeds, or other seeds on top!)
Ingredients for Greek Kale Salad
For this recipe you will toss together in a large bowl:
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans): We will use one 15-ounce can chickpeas for this recipe. But if you cook your own from scratch, that works great too. Simply use about 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas.
- Fresh kale: Most often, I use curly kale but lacinato kale works too.
- Cucumber: I use an English/hothouse cucumber, but use regular garden cucumbers if you'd like.
- Cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes: I use these because they have such bold, sweet flavor. But substitute roma tomatoes or other garden tomatoes if desired.
- Red onion
- Red bell pepper: Or you can substitute roasted bell peppers if you're not a fan of raw bell pepper.
- Lemon juice
- Red wine vinegar
- Dried oregano
- Garlic powder: Or substitute a fresh minced garlic clove instead.
Dressing note: The marinade/dressing is simple, yet full of classic Greek-style flavor. I enjoy the tangy, zingy combination of red wine vinegar and lemon juice. Change it up how you see fit however!
Toppings: For even more flavor, top your bowl with Kalamata olives, pepperoncini, artichokes, fresh herbs, avocado, etc.
Dairy-free cheese: Add vegan feta cheese crumbles before serving if desired. (Either use your favorite store-bought version or homemade tofu feta.)
Either serve immediately or let it chill in the fridge for a couple hours to let flavors develop. Be sure to stir again before serving as some dressing will settle at the bottom.
This works well as either a main dish salad or side dish.
Bread pairing: Serve this salad with naan bread or toasted pita wedges on the side if desired!
For more inspiration, also browse all chickpea recipes or salad recipes.
Greek Kale Salad with Marinated Chickpeas
- 15 oz. can chickpeas
- 1 small bunch kale (I use curly)
- 1 English cucumber (hothouse)
- 6 oz. cherry/grape tomatoes
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1 red bell pepper (or 1-2 roasted bell peppers from a jar)
- Optional: kalamata olives, pepperoncini, artichoke hearts, vegan feta, fresh herbs
For the lemon-vinegar dressing:
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder (or 1 fresh garlic clove, minced)
- 1/8 tsp. salt (more/less as desired)
- In a medium bowl, add all dressing ingredients. Whisk to combine.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas. Add to bowl with dressing. Toss well to thoroughly coat. Set aside to marinate while you prepare the salad.
- Tear or chop kale into small pieces* (large stems removed). Add to a large bowl and lightly massage to tenderize.
- Dice cucumber and bell pepper. Thinly slice onion. Halve/quarter grape tomatoes. Add to bowl with kale.
- Add marinated chickpeas on top with any remaining dressing. Lightly toss to combine.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate to let flavors develop even further. (Be sure to stir again before serving as some dressing will settle at the bottom.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this vegan Kale Greek-style Salad recipe, also check out:
- Loaded Greek Salad with Tangy Vinaigrette
- Kale Salad with Sun-Dried Tomatoes & Roasted Chickpeas
- Marinated Kale Salad
- Super Immunity Power Salad
- Vegan Italian Chopped Salad with Zesty Vinaigrette
Follow The Garden Grazer on Instagram, Pinterest, or Facebook for more updates and inspiration.
Made this for lunches and added olives and vegan feta. Simple and tasty, thank you!!
Great additions! Appreciate the kind feedback - thank you.