Fresh & healthy Kale Greek-style Salad with marinated chickpeas! Flavorful, packed with plant-based nutrients, and also great for prepared lunches. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This healthy Greek Kale Salad is filled with crisp vegetables and plant-based goodness.
It feels so hearty and also holds up well in the fridge for leftovers. Plus it is great choice for meal prep or make-ahead lunches.
The chickpeas add protein and fiber (or you could even sprinkle hemp hearts, sunflower seeds, or other seeds on top if desired).
Ingredients for Kale Greek Salad
For this recipe you will toss together in a large bowl:
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- Fresh kale: I use curly kale but lacinato kale could work too.
- Cucumber: I use an English/hothouse cucumber, but use regular garden cucumbers if you'd like.
- Cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes: I use these because they have such bold, sweet flavor. But substitute roma tomatoes or other garden tomatoes if desired.
- Red onion
- Red bell pepper: Or substitute roasted bell peppers.
- Lemon juice
- Red wine vinegar
- Dried oregano
- Garlic powder: Or substitute a fresh garlic clove.
The marinade/dressing is simple, yet full of classic Greek-style flavor. I really enjoy the tangy, zingy combination of red wine vinegar and lemon juice.
Flavorful toppings: Top your bowl with Kalamata olives, pepperoncini, artichokes, fresh herbs, or vegan feta cheese before serving if desired. (Violife brand makes a block of vegan feta you can crumble.)
Bread: Serve with naan bread or toasted pita wedges on the side.
Either serve immediately or let it chill in the fridge for a couple hours to let flavors develop. Be sure to stir again before serving as some dressing will settle at the bottom.
It works well as both a main dish salad or side dish.
Kale Greek Salad with Marinated Chickpeas
- 15 oz. can chickpeas
- 1 small bunch kale (I use curly)
- 1 English cucumber (hothouse)
- 6 oz. cherry/grape tomatoes
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1 red bell pepper (or 1-2 roasted bell peppers from a jar)
- Optional: kalamata olives, pepperoncini, artichoke hearts, vegan feta, fresh herbs
For the lemon-vinegar dressing:
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder (or 1 fresh garlic clove, minced)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more/less as desired)
- In a medium bowl, add all dressing ingredients. Whisk to combine.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas. Add to bowl with dressing. Toss well to thoroughly coat. Set aside to marinate while you prepare the salad.
- Tear or chop kale into small pieces* (large stems removed). Add to a large bowl and lightly massage to tenderize.
- Dice cucumber and bell pepper. Thinly slice onion. Halve/quarter grape tomatoes. Add to bowl with kale.
- Add marinated chickpeas on top with any remaining dressing. Lightly toss to combine.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate to let flavors develop even further. (Be sure to stir again before serving as some dressing will settle at the bottom.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan Kale Greek-style Salad, also check out:
- Loaded Greek Salad with Tangy Vinaigrette
- Kale Salad with Sun-Dried Tomatoes & Roasted Chickpeas
- Marinated Kale Salad
- Super Immunity Power Salad
- Vegan Italian Chopped Salad with Zesty Vinaigrette