Vegan Broccoli Mac 'n Cheese! Easy, creamy, cozy, comfort food with a nutritional boost from the broccoli! (Vegan, gluten-free option)
Need a little warm comfort food to get you through these chilly days? How about some homemade mac 'n cheese! Sure it's a bit indulgent, but that's why we toss in lots of the green stuff. (Mac and cheese with trees!)
You could even add more broccoli. I love huge amounts of broccoli in this dish. It's so good smothered in the delicious creamy cheese sauce.
Plus feel free to season the sauce to your liking. I use a little dry mustard but you can use other seasonings if you wish. Smoked paprika, seasoned salts, and chili powder are lovely. Or cayenne pepper if you want a kick!
Just be sure to find a good melt-able vegan cheese for this recipe. I enjoy the taste and "meltability" of the Follow Your Heart brand. (And if you're looking for a healthier cheese sauce, check out this other Easy Vegan Mac 'n Cheese made with a homemade cashew-based sauce!)
Mac 'n Cheese with Broccoli
- 12 oz. pasta (gluten-free if desired)
- 1 large head broccoli (about 4-5 cups florets)
- 1/2 onion
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2 1/2 cups plain, unsweetened soymilk (or other plant milk)
- 2 cups vegan cheddar shreds (I like Follow Your Heart)
- 2-3 Tbsp. vegan butter (I use Miyoko's brand)
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour (I use Bob's Red Mill GF All-Purpose)
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Cook pasta according to package directions, leaving al dente. Drain when finished.
- Meanwhile, steam broccoli florets for 4-5 minutes.
- Dice onion and mince garlic.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Then add onion and garlic. Stir and saute about 5-6 minutes.
- Reduce heat to med-low, add in flour. Whisk continuously for a couple minutes.
- Add milk and dry mustard. Increase heat to medium and heat for 5 minutes or until it thickens.
- Add cheese and salt. Whisk to melt and turn off heat.
- Stir in cooked pasta and broccoli. Salt/pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying this Broccoli Mac 'n Cheese? Feel free to also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make this recipe! I love seeing your beautiful recreations.