This vegan Minestrone Soup is so satisfying and combines beans, vegetables, and pasta. It is an easy, customizable lunch or dinner that's just one pot, 10 ingredients, and 30 minutes! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This simple Vegan Minestrone Soup recipe tastes so cozy and satisfying. Plus it's filled with healthy plant-based protein and fiber.
It is a beautiful mixture of so many good things. Tender veggies, pasta, and hearty beans all swimming in a thick, tomato-rich broth.
Plus it is quick and easy to prepare, and great for lunch, dinner, or meal prep.
The simple ingredients are mostly pantry staples that I usually have on hand.
Ingredients for Minestrone Soup
For this recipe you will need:
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves
- Vegetable broth
- Canned diced tomatoes: Regular or fire-roasted.
- Canned tomato sauce
- Red kidney beans
- Small pasta: Use your own favorite or gluten-free pasta if needed. I use elbow or small shell.
- Green beans: I use frozen cut green beans, but fresh are great too.
- Dried basil: Or substitute with your own favorite herbs such as oregano, Italian seasoning, thyme, etc.
Garnish your bowl with a teaspoon of chopped fresh parsley, fresh basil, vegan parmesan cheese, or fresh lemon juice if desired.
A couple dollops of homemade Vegan Ricotta Cheese is also tasty. Or I will even add a dash of hot sauce sometimes.
This is an easy recipe to adapt other vegetables and herbs depending on your favorite flavors or what is in season.
Potato, sweet corn, bell pepper, zucchini, summer squash, a couple stalks celery, fresh kale, or baby spinach do great in this soup as well.
I do an oil-free sauté method (see recipe instructions below), but if you prefer to sauté with olive oil, simply add a tablespoon to your stockpot.
This recipe yields about 5 bowls of soup. We find any leftovers keep well in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 4-5 days.
Freezer notes: I have not tried freezing this recipe. Soups with pre-boiled pasta generally don't retain their shape and texture after you freeze, thaw, and reheat it.
For more inspiration, also browse all soup and chili recipes.
Vegan Minestrone Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (I use petite-diced)
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce*
- 15 oz. can kidney beans (or white beans)
- 1 cup elbow or small shell pasta (gluten-free if desired)
- 1 1/2 cups cut green beans (frozen or fresh)
- 1 tsp. dried basil (I often add 1/2 tsp. oregano as well)
- Salt/pepper to taste
For serving (optional):
- Fresh basil or parsley, vegan parmesan, fresh lemon juice
- Dice onion and carrot.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion and carrot for about 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as necessary.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic and dried basil. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth, diced tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, and kidney beans (rinsed and drained). Increase heat and bring to a light boil.
- When lightly boiling, add pasta and green beans. Stir.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes or until pasta is tender. Salt/pepper to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this easy Vegan Minestrone Soup, also check out:
- Easy Vegan Lasagna with Chickpea Ricotta
- Fire-Roasted Tomato & White Bean Soup
- Vegan Avocado Quesadilla
- Black Bean Tacos with Avocado Sauce