This Quinoa Minestrone Soup is a fun twist on classic Minestrone. Swap out the pasta for nutrient-rich quinoa instead. Simple to prepare and so nourishing! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
Classic minestrone is an Italian soup with vegetables, beans, and pasta.
But in this version, we give it a fun twist and swap out the pasta for quinoa.
The quinoa provides a great, satisfying texture plus many nutrients.
It is simple to prepare and so nourishing!
Ingredients for Quinoa Minestrone
For this recipe you will need:
- Potato: I use red or Yukon gold.
- Green beans: Either fresh or frozen.
- Vegetable broth
- Diced tomatoes
- Kidney beans
- White quinoa
- Dried basil + dried oregano
Customize this recipe to your liking.
Add your own favorite vegetables or other herbs. Substituting the dried herbs for fresh herbs (such as parsley, basil, thyme, oregano, etc.) adds wonderful flavor as well.
If you are looking for a classic minestrone, check out this 30-Minute Minestrone Soup as well.
Quinoa Minestrone Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 medium potatoes* (about 10 oz. or 2 cups diced)
- 8 oz. green beans (or frozen)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz. can kidney beans
- 1/2 cup white quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Optional: kale or spinach
- Dice onion, carrot, and potatoes. Cut green beans into 1-inch pieces. Mince garlic.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 6-7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- When onion is softened, add garlic, basil, and oregano. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Add carrot, potato, and green beans. Sauté 2 minutes.
- Add broth and tomatoes. Increase heat and bring to a light boil.
- Once lightly boiling, add kidney beans (rinsed and drained) and quinoa (rinsed and drained).
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15-20 minutes (or until quinoa and potatoes are cooked through). Salt/pepper to taste. Stir well and scoop from the bottom when serving as the quinoa tends to settle. The soup will continue to thicken as it sits.
- Optional: if using kale or spinach, stir in during the last few minutes of cook time. (I enjoy 2 cups chopped lacinato kale.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this quinoa minestrone, also check out: