This vegan Quinoa Minestrone Soup is a fun twist on classic Minestrone. Swap out the pasta for nutrient-rich quinoa instead. Simple to prepare and so nourishing! (Gluten-free & oil-free.)
Classic minestrone is an Italian soup with vegetables, beans, and pasta.
But in this version, we give it a fun twist and swap out the pasta for quinoa.
The quinoa provides great texture plus many nutrients.
It is simple to prepare and so nourishing!
Ingredients for Quinoa Minestrone
For this recipe you will need:
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves
- Potato: I use red potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes, but white or russet will work too.
- Green beans: Either fresh or cut frozen green beans.
- Vegetable broth
- Diced tomatoes: Either regular canned diced tomatoes or fire-roasted tomatoes.
- Red kidney beans
- White quinoa
- Dried basil + dried oregano: Or substitute other herbs such as dried parsley, thyme, Italian seasonings, etc.
Soup is always a great dish for customizing. Use your own favorite additions, or what you have on hand.
Veggies: Add your own favorite vegetables such as celery, mushroom, zucchini, peas, sweet corn, etc.
Greens: Stir in some fresh baby spinach or kale near the end of cooking time.
Herbs: You can also substitute the dried herbs for fresh herbs (such as parsley, basil, thyme, oregano, etc.)
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. We find they keep well for about 4-5 days.
If you are looking for a classic minestrone, check out this 30-Minute Minestrone Soup as well.
Quinoa Minestrone Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 medium potatoes* (about 10 oz. or 2 cups diced)
- 8 oz. green beans (or frozen)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz. can kidney beans
- 1/2 cup white quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Optional: kale or spinach
- Dice onion, carrot, and potatoes. Cut green beans into 1-inch pieces. Mince garlic.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 6-7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- When onion is softened, add garlic, basil, and oregano. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Add carrot, potato, and green beans. Sauté 2 minutes.
- Add broth and tomatoes. Increase heat and bring to a light boil.
- Once lightly boiling, add kidney beans (rinsed and drained) and quinoa (rinsed and drained).
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15-20 minutes (or until quinoa and potatoes are cooked through). Salt/pepper to taste. Stir well and scoop from the bottom when serving as the quinoa tends to settle. The soup will continue to thicken as it sits.
- Optional: if using kale or spinach, stir in during the last few minutes of cook time. (I enjoy 2 cups chopped lacinato kale.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan quinoa minestrone soup, also check out: