A vibrant Rainbow Chopped Salad filled with beautiful colors and plant-based nutrients. Then tossed in a creamy avocado basil dressing! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free option.)
This rainbow chopped salad is so fresh and colorful.
Vibrant veggies combine with crisp lettuce and a tasty creamy avocado dressing.
Plus it is quick and simple to prepare.
I adapted this recipe from our favorite Southwestern Chopped Salad with Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing.
Ingredients for Chopped Salad
For the salad portion you will need:
- Romaine lettuce
- Red cabbage
- Cherry or grape tomatoes: Or roma, etc.
- Yellow bell pepper
We also enjoy adding garbanzo beans for a boost of protein.
It is a versatile recipe, so use whatever veggies you like or what's in season.
Ingredients for Avocado Dressing
For the creamy dressing you will need:
- Fresh basil
- Agave: Or other sweetener.
- Olive oil: Omit for oil-free or replace with water as needed to thin.
- White wine vinegar: Or apple cider vinegar.
- Salt and water
The dressing is also a great veggie dip.
Feel free to make it ahead of time and toss with the salad right before serving. (We find the dressing gets even better as it sits in the fridge after the flavors combine.)
For more inspiration, browse all salad recipes.
Rainbow Chopped Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- 1 large head romaine
- 2 cups red cabbage (about 1/2 small head)
- 8 oz. cherry/grape tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1-2 medium carrots
- 1 yellow bell pepper
For the creamy avocado dressing:
- 1 avocado (peeled and pitted)
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2/3 cup lightly packed fresh basil
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil (omit for oil-free)
- 1 tsp. agave (or sweetener or choice)
- 3 Tbsp. water (to thin)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Make the dressing: place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth (add more/less water as needed to thin to desired texture). Adjust flavors if necessary or add more salt to taste. Place in fridge to let flavors combine while you make the salad.
- Chop romaine and all salad vegetables and place in a large bowl.
- Pour dressing over top and toss well to combine. (Or store dressing & salad separately to better keep it fresh and crisp.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this rainbow chopped salad, also check out: