A vegan Rainbow Chopped Salad filled with bright colors and plant-based nutrients. Then tossed in a creamy avocado basil dressing! (Gluten-free, oil-free option.)
This rainbow chopped salad is so fresh, colorful, and filled with healthy plant-based nutrients.
Bright veggies combine with crisp lettuce. Then it's tossed with a tasty creamy avocado dressing.
Plus it is quick and simple to prepare.
I adapted this recipe from our favorite Southwestern Chopped Salad with Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing.
Ingredients for Rainbow Salad
For the salad portion you will need:
- Romaine lettuce: Or another leafy green of choice, but I like the crisp, fresh taste of romaine in this salad.
- Red cabbage
- Cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes: I use these because they are sweet and flavorful, but you can use roma tomatoes or other garden tomato if desired.
- Cucumber: I use hothouse/English cucumbers.
- Yellow bell pepper
Ingredients for Avocado Dressing
For the creamy dressing you will need:
- Lemon juice
- Fresh basil
- Garlic cloves
- Agave: Or other sweetener of choice.
- Olive oil: Omit for oil-free or replace with water as needed to thin.
- White wine vinegar: Or substitute apple cider vinegar.
- Salt and water
Beans: We also enjoy adding garbanzo beans for added protein.
Veggies: You can also add cooked sweet corn, sprouts, fresh herbs, sugar snap peas, etc.
The dressing is also a great vegetable dip.
Make ahead: Feel free to make the dressing in advance and toss with the salad right before serving. (We find the dressing gets even better as it sits in the fridge after the flavors combine.)
Storing: Store dressing and salad in separate airtight containers in the fridge to help keep it fresh and crisp. We find it keeps for about 3-4 days.
For more inspiration, also browse all vegan salad recipes.
Rainbow Chopped Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- 1 large head romaine
- 2 cups red cabbage (about 1/2 small head)
- 8 oz. cherry/grape tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1-2 medium carrots
- 1 yellow bell pepper
For the creamy avocado dressing:
- 1 avocado (peeled and pitted)
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2/3 cup lightly packed fresh basil
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil (omit for oil-free)
- 1 tsp. agave (or sweetener or choice)
- 3 Tbsp. water (to thin)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Make the dressing: Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. (Add more/less water as needed to thin to desired texture.) Adjust flavors if necessary or add more salt to taste. Place in fridge to let flavors combine while you make the salad.
- Chop romaine and all salad vegetables and place in a large bowl.
- Pour dressing over top and toss well to combine. (Or store dressing & salad separately to better keep it fresh and crisp.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan rainbow chopped salad, also check out: